The Penn State Behrend Honors Program is designed to provide a richer academic experience for highly qualified students at freshman and sophomore levels. At the end of the sophomore year, a student who has successfully completed nine or more credits while maintaining a cumulative 3.33 G.P.A. will be awarded an Honors Certificate at the College's Annual Honors & Awards Convocation. There are also opportunities to enter the Schreyer Honors College at the end of the freshman and sophomore years and to continue study toward a Penn State Honors Degree.
Eligibility and Requirements
First Semester Freshmen
- Entry to Honors Program: Freshman admission by invitation based on high school GPA and SAT scores. No separate application is required.
- Minimum requirements: File an Annual Academic Plan. Maintain a 3.33 GPA each semester.
- Semesters one and two: At least one honors course per semester is required. A minimum of six honors credits is strongly recommended.
- Semesters three and four: At least one additional honors course is required. (Honors Options or Independent Study/Research with adviser permission only.) A minimum of three honors credits is recommended.
- Honors Certificate: Students entering as first-semester freshmen must earn nine honors credits to receive an Honors Certificate at the end of the fourth semester.
Second Semester Freshmen or Sophomores
- Entry to Honors Program: Students are invited to join the Honors Program if they complete their first semester or the freshman year with a 3.5 GPA.
- Minimum Requirements: File an Annual Academic Plan. Maintain a 3.33 GPA each semester.
- Students entering as second-semester freshmen or as sophomores must earn a minimum of six honors credits by the end of semester four, although more honors coursework is encouraged.
- Honors Certificate: Students entering as second-semester freshmen or sophomores must earn a minimum of six honors credits to receive an Honors Certificate by the end of the fourth semester.
In order to continue honors study at the junior/senior level, a student must apply to join the Schreyer Honors College.
Annual Academic Plan: Behrend Honors Program members submit their plans each fall semester. Exceptions to the requirements listed above must be explained and initialed by the honors advisor on the plan.
Honors Options, Honors Independent Study/Research: Forms are due by the end of the drop/add period of the semester in which honors study is taken.