A provisional applicant is typically an adult who has earned a high school diploma or its equivalent by the time they enroll at Penn State.
Provisional applicants include adults who:
- have graduated high school with a strong grade-point average (GPA), and
- have not completed sufficient academic math units such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry
- have not completed more than 17 credits at a regionally accredited college or university, or
- who have attended or completed programs at training institutions other than a college or university setting.
Please note this information is intended to give you a general idea of admissibility to Penn State Behrend, not other Penn State campus locations. Each Penn State location has different criteria for adult learner admission; please contact the specific Penn State location for additional information.
1. Complete the online Penn State Undergraduate Application and submit a $65 application fee.
2. Have your official* transcripts from high school and all post-secondary institutions attended sent directly to the Admissions Office at the address listed below. For those who have a GED, the official GED transcript ** is required, as well as the official high school transcript.
3. If you were a member of the Armed Forces, please have an ACE/military transcript sent to us. The ACE transcripts are free to veterans.
All above materials should be sent to:
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
4701 College Drive
Erie, PA 16563
* An official transcript is one that is sent directly from the Records Office of the institution(s) attended to the Admissions Office of Penn State Behrend (address listed above).
**** If you earned the GED in Pennsylvania, you can request your official GED transcript, in writing only from:
Commonwealth Diploma Program
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 12th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Please include the following:
- Name and Social Security Number
- Complete address
- Year tested
- Test center
- $3.00 fee: must be money order, cashier's check, or certified check, made payable to Commonwealth of PA