Please visit our Office of Student Aid at Penn State for an overview of scholarship information and resources.
Academic and Need-Based Scholarships
- First-year students are automatically considered for most of our academic scholarships once they are offered admission to Penn State Behrend. There is no separate scholarship application. Scholarships are based on a variety of factors including high school record and SAT/ACT scores. First year students should have the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file by February 15 each year to be considered for need-based scholarships. Most scholarship notifications will go out in early March.
- Upper-division students, including Penn State change of campus students, are awarded scholarships based on their Penn State cumulative grade-point average at the end of the spring term and must be scheduled for their fall courses by the end of May each year in order to be considered. Current Penn State students changing campus to Penn State Behrend for their 5th semester are given preference for academic and need-based scholarships. Penn State students should have the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file by April 15th each year to be considered for need-based scholarships.
- Transfer/Advanced standing students from outside of Penn State entering their junior year at Penn State Behrend are also considered for scholarships. Academic scholarships will be based on the student's performance at their prior institution. Transfer/advanced standing students should have their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file by February 15th of each year to be considered for need-based scholarships.
Penn State Behrend offers the Chancellor's Scholarship program to recognize our most academically gifted students. This prestigious scholarship program recognizes students with two-year and four-year academic scholarships estimating $2,500 per academic year. Chancellor Scholars are also guaranteed a one-time $1,000 scholarship to study abroad and $1,200 per year in undergraduate research grant funds. Research grants are awarded over the summer to students in Penn State Behrend majors only.
First year students; current Penn State students changing assignment to Penn State Behrend for their 5th semester; and transfer/advanced standing students starting at Penn State Behrend at the junior level are automatically considered for our Chancellor's Scholarships upon admission.
No separate application is necessary for the Chancellor's Scholarships.
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarships
Penn State Behrend offers Chancellor's Scholarships to community college graduates that are members of Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society of the Two Year College. Students must provide a certificate of membership and a letter of recommendation from their PTK Chapter Adviser to be considered. Contact the Penn State Behrend Financial Aid Office for further details.
Penn State Behrend offers numerous leadership scholarships based on extracurricular activities and leadership potential. The Leadership Scholarship application for incoming freshman for the 2017-18 academic year is now open. Complete the application online by the March 1st, 5:00 p.m. deadline.
Penn State change of campus students and transfer/advanced standing students should contact our Student Affairs Office for details on applying.
Lawrence and Elizabeth Held Scholarships
Students enrolled in a major in Penn State Behrend's Black School of Business who have been accepted into the University-wide Schreyer Honors College will be considered for scholarships up to $10,000 per year. Learn more about scholarships for honors business majors.
Schreyer Scholars Program
First-year students selected to join the Schreyer Scholars Program will receive four-year renewable awards of $4,500 per academic year. Penn State Behrend will provide a matching $4,500 per year Chancellor's Scholarship to first-year students joining the Schreyer Honors College. These scholarships are renewable as long as students remain in good academic standing with the Schreyer Honors College. Students may be considered for admission to the Schreyer Scholars Program after their first year; however, scholarships are not guaranteed.
Students may also be selected to join our local Penn State Behrend Honors Program. Although being a member of the Honors Program does not guarantee scholarship funds, many of the Penn State Behrend scholarships give priority to students who are members of the Schreyer Scholars or Behrend Honors programs.
There are a number of scholarships offered by Penn State Behrend which give preference to students or dependents of parent(s) who work for specific companies. To apply, complete the online application form.
Grant in Aid Program
Grant program for select New York and Ohio High School graduates. Please view our list of eligible schools.
The Grant in Aid is also available to out of state residents who are graduates of Jamestown Community College in New York.
Army ROTC Scholarships
The Penn State Behrend Army ROTC program offers generous scholarship benefits, including full tuition and fees coverage, book allotment, and spending allowance.
Penn State Behrend awards several study abroad scholarships to students enrolled or planning to enroll in an international study program who have a proven need for funds to meet their necessary college expenses. Complete a study abroad application to apply.
LORD Corporation Scholarships
LORD Corporation has partnered with Penn State Behrend to offer an exciting opportunity to students in select majors. Learn more about the LORD Corporation Scholarship.
Outside scholarships are available through civic foundations, nonprofit organizations, churches, high schools, and employers.
- Penn State also recommends several scholarship search programs on the internet. These searches are free to prospective and continuing students.
- Penn State Behrend's Educational Equity & Diversity Office has a list of scholarship opportunities on their website as well.
The following endowed scholarships are awarded to students who have achieved a superior academic record or who manifest promise of outstanding writing. Creative writing scholarships may require a separate application. Learn more about creative writing scholarships.
- Corey N. Farrell Memorial Scholarship
- Clarence A. Smith and Eugenie Baumann Smith Endowed Scholarship
- Kenneth J. Sonnenberg Poetry Award