What We Do
The Center for Teaching Initiatives helps faculty members to enhance their teaching using the latest research
in education. We work collaboratively with faculty members to develop
teaching strategies that enhance the teaching and learning process.
The educational consultants at the center can
work with you to determine teaching strategies that will make your
courses more engaging, increase active learning, and enable students
to think more deeply about concepts. In addition, they can help you
determine effective strategies for using educational technology to
facilitate students' learning.
For example, the educational consultants at
the center can assist you with topics such as:
- designing a course
- writing course objectives
- writing or revising a syllabus
- creating an active learning environment
- planning a lesson
- classroom management
- assessment strategies to ensure students understand course material
- evaluating student learning
- using Penn State's course management system (ANGEL)
- integrating educational technologies into your courses
- creating educational animation, sound, video, and interactive
- utilizing effective teaching strategies (with or without technology)
for achieving given learning goals
The Center for Teaching Initiatives
has a number of resources that can help you to enhance your teaching:
- We have books and handouts on pedagogy, instructional
technology, and college teaching.
- You can meet with one of our educational consultants to discuss
what you're doing in your classes and to gain new ideas.
- You can attend one of our college teaching seminars. These sessions
highlight successful strategies you can use in the classroom.
- We provide peer review services. We can attend one or more of
your classes, or review materials you use in class (e.g., lesson
plans, syllabi, exams, etc.).