The Computer Center hires a number of wage payroll and work-study students to help support computer users. There are two types of positions: student consultant and student technician. Those students who are hired by the Computer Center generally begin employment as a consultant. Student consultants who show exceptional technical and customer service skills may be considered for the student technician positions as they become available.
The main job duties of a student consultant are to:
- provide help to users who have general questions about using the software or hardware in the labs
- give seminars on how to use a particular software package
- provide phone support to users
The main job duties of a student technician are to:
- install hardware and software
- troubleshoot hardware, software, and network issues
- troubleshoot Residence Hall network problems
In addition, technicians must possess a valid driver’s license, and those under 21 must have a clean driving record and successfully complete the University’s online Driver Safety Training Course prior to being awarded the position.
Please keep in mind that the availability of positions varies from semester to semester. Also, due to the length of the training process, students of 4th semester standing or less are preferred.
Applicants are invited to apply for these positions. To do so, go to Job Opportunities and then select Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, as the campus location.
If you have any questions or need further information, contact the Manager of IT Support Services.