IT 130: Italian Culture and Civilization (3 Credits) includes a mandatory 10-day Study Tour to Rome during Spring Break.
An online, asynchronous course, Italian Culture and Civilization, examines Italian life from antiquity to the present. It is designated an International Cultures course, which aims to develop undergraduate students' critical and analytical skills through a global exploration of the historical, cultural, and political aspects of Italian society. Coursework is divided into thematic modules that explore Roman culture and society from the Etruscans to today.
Based upon an integrated approach to art, architecture, music, literature, and film, the course will provide General Education credits in either humanities or international culture. It also fulfills the 3-credit study abroad requirement for International Business majors. To obtain Honors credits, students must follow the usual procedure for approval.
This team-taught, interdisciplinary course will include weekly meetings throughout the spring semester, during which students will be introduced to the culture and history of Italy and the city of Rome.
The course culminates in a ten-day field trip to Rome over Spring Break.
Among its distinctions, students will experience Italian gastronomy by visiting open-air markets, alimentary, salumerie, and restaurants.
Satisfies: GH or IL requirements (3 credits are required to fulfill requirements)
Honors credits may be available for study abroad programs of ten days or more.
Pending approval, it could be used to satisfy a requirement for the college's minor in International Studies.
An interview is required for acceptance in this course.
Since this course is offered in the spring semester, there will be no additional cost for tuition if you are a full-time Penn State student.
|Travel in Italy||$170||N/A|
|Airfare||$1,000||Price subject to change. Students are responsible for transportation to and from the Erie International Airport.|
|Accommodation in Rome||$600||N/A|
|Misc. Expense (group meal)||$80||N/A|
|Total||$2,550||Price subject to change.|
The following cancellation penalties apply:
- $200 non-refundable deposit due upon registration
- Prior to the purchase of airline tickets, a student wishing to cancel will be entitled to a refund of fifty percent of any monies they have paid minus the $200 deposit.
- Once airline tickets have been purchased, a student wishing to cancel will be entitled to a refund of fifty percent of any monies they have paid minus the full cost of the airline ticket and the $200 deposit.
- Behrend College majors may be eligible for the college's privately endowed, need-based scholarships. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 814-898-6162 to see if you qualify.
- The Pennsylvania Commonwealth Education Abroad Scholarships are also available to students who demonstrate financial need and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Please stop at the Learning Resource Center, 203 Lilley Library, for details.
Students who want to protect themselves against these penalties can buy a personal travel insurance program.
The above amount does not include meals, souvenirs, passport fees, or other incidentals.
Payments can be made by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or personal check.
|$200 deposit||Upon Registration (non-refundable)|
|$350 payment||November 1, 2022|
|$350 payment||November 15, 2022|
|$550 payment||December 5, 2022|
|$550 payment||January 5, 2023|
|$550 payment||February 6, 2023|
Note cancellation penalties under "COSTS."
Payments can be made by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or a personal check payable to Penn State University. Bring your deposit, along with your application (and all subsequent payments), to the Office of the School of Humanities & Social Sciences in 170 Kochel Center.
If the trip fills up, students who sign up early will get priority, so get your deposit in soon if you plan to go. After October 22, students will only be admitted if space is available. A surcharge may be necessary after this date.
Send the following information to Dr. John Champagne.
- Mailing Address
- Penn State ID #