SPAN 130: Iberian Civilization (3 credits), included a mandatory 10-day trip to Spain in May 2018. Participants visited Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Costa del Sol, and Sevilla.
Check back for dates of next trip.
SPAN 130 is a course that focuses on the art, architecture, and culture of Spain, from the medieval period to contemporary times. The course will analyze the connections between art, architecture, history, and culture, with in-person visits to essential linchpins of Spanish culture and politics.
The trip will visit places such as Barcelona, home to modernist artists Miró, Picasso, and Dalí; Granada’s Alhambra, Moorish citadel and home to the Catholic kings; and Sevilla, the romantic city of bullfights, flamenco, and Don Juan; in addition to Madrid’s Prado museum, Toledo’s Gothic cathedral, Valencia, Gibraltar, and the beaches of the Costa del Sol.
- Since required travel takes place in May, students must register for 2.5 credits in spring 2018 and .5 credits in summer 2018. Grades for both sessions will be awarded in May, after travel has been completed.
- Prerequisites: None. Instruction is entirely in English.
- Satisfies: GH or IL requirements (3 credits are required to satisfy requirements)
- The spring semester portion of the course will meet once per week.
- Travel is provided by EF Tours. An itinerary is available on the EF College Study Tours website.
The estimated total cost of the trip will be $4,000, subject to change. It may drop depending on the number of participants.
- This includes summer tuition for the .5 credit course, airfare, accommodations, tour guide, breakfast, and local transportation.
- EF Tours has set up a TripFunder to help you manage the costs of the trip. This service allows you to reach out to your personal network to raise funds (information available from Dr. Laurie Urraro, [email protected]).
- The above amount does not include souvenirs, passport fees, or other incidentals.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the airport.
- Payments for the trip will be managed by EF Tours. Access payment information online.
- Withdrawal will result in a penalty. View EF Tours’ cancellation policy online.
- Penn State Behrend College majors may be eligible for the college’s privately endowed, need-based scholarships. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 814-898-6162 to see if you are eligible.
- The Pennsylvania Commonwealth Education Abroad Scholarships also are available to students who demonstrate financial need and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. International students are eligible. For details please stop in at the Learning Resource Center, 203 Lilley Library.
Contact Dr. Laurie Urraro, [email protected] or 814-898-6641, with any questions you may have about the course and/or the trip. Look for announcements for informational meetings!