Become a STEM Leader
The STEM Leaders program is a four-year multifaceted program that provides financial, academic, personal, social, and career support to help Penn State Behrend students persist, succeed, and become leaders in the STEM fields.
What opportunities are available in the STEM Leaders program?
- Up to $13,500 in scholarships over four years
- Specialized early math curriculum to promote future success
- STEM Leaders living-learning community
- Personal, academic, and life skills support
- Individualized peer, faculty, and professional/career mentoring
- Customized STEM leadership course
- STEM-themed speakers, workshops, and seminars
- Outreach and service-learning engagement
- Internships and research opportunities
Who is eligible?
- Meet citizenship requirements of the National Science Foundation (U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, aliens admitted as refugees, or aliens with lawful permanent residence)
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Intend to study in a STEM major offered at Penn State Behrend
STEM-eligible majors at Behrend
The STEM-eligible majors list consists of select fields in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). These programs include: Biology, Chemistry; Computer Engineering; Computer Science; Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology; Electrical Engineering; Environmental Science; Industrial Engineering; Mathematics; Mechanical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering Technology; Physics; Plastics Engineering Technology; Science; Software Engineering.
Timeline for Application for Fall 2021 Admission
- Complete the admissions application by November 30 prior to the start of your first academic year.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by December 1 prior to the start of your first academic year.
- Complete the STEM Leaders application at the link below. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all spots in the program are filled, with priority given to those received by December 31, and initial offers extended
after February 1.
For more information, contact the Penn State Behrend S-Stem Committee at [email protected].
Funding for the STEM Leaders program is provided by a grant from the National Science Foundation S-STEM grant program (Project #1930196).