Learn to use conversational Spanish in a medical setting!
Conversational Medical Spanish is an excellent primer for medical professionals interested in communicating with Spanish-speaking colleagues, patients, and/or families. The course will help to develop a basic-language proficiency and familiarity with relevant cultural knowledge related to healthcare.
This course is designed for organizations in or related to the medical field that are interested in increasing their employees’ proficiency in speaking Spanish. Emphasis is on high-frequency vocabulary. Class is taught to provide a basic understanding of Spanish words when conversing. No prior knowledge of Spanish is necessary. This program is offered remotely.
Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, June 1–August 5, 2021
Meeting Times: Online meetings: 5:30–6:30 p.m.
- Demonstrate an understanding and use of oral language on medical topics by participating in interactions, using Spanish for personal needs such as asking and answering questions, and requesting clarification as needed.
- Show comprehension of written texts on familiar and unfamiliar topics dealing with basic needs or interests by successfully retelling, answering questions, or completing activities regarding the readings.
- Demonstrate familiarity with selected aspects of the culture(s) associated with Spanish speakers by talking about what they have read/learned.
Some Topics Covered
- Spanish Greetings/Introduce Yourself to Patient
- Spanish Vocabulary and Phrases
- Numbers, Question words
- Vital Signs, Pain Levels
- Chief Complaint, Progress
- Physical Exam, Neurological Exam
- Illnesses, Symptoms