Where We are Today
Technology has been installed or improved across campus for your audio/visual needs.
The order for the microphones (Samson XPD2 USB Lavaliers) has arrived (11/20/20) and are available to faculty.
Search for Classroom Technology
Check out our Classroom Technology site --- it allows you to search by room to see what technology is available in that space.
Join us for our weekly IT forums to get answers about your office, home, and classroom technology questions or needs.
The forums, held via Zoom, begin Thursday, July 23, and run throughout the semester. The times may vary, so be sure to check the schedule.
- Thursday, December 3, 11:00 AM EST via Zoom:
In case you aren't able to attend, all of the sessions will be recorded; the recording links are provided below.
- No recordings; limited attendance for the meetings held since August 6.
- Thursday, July 30
- Thursday, July 23
- Podium Controls Overview (recording)
- Live, In-Person Podium Technology Demonstrations - Sessions will take place in the listed locations. Topics covered will be similar regardless of the setting. All sessions are capped at a maximum of 9 participants.
- August 10, 9:00 AM - McGarvey Commons - H&SS
- August 10, 1:00 PM - McGarvey Commons - School of Science
- August 11, 9:00 AM - Burke 001 - School of Business
- August 11, 1:00 PM - Burke 001 - School of Engineering
- August 12, 1:00 PM - Hybrid General Session, In-person in Nick 156 and also via Zoom at 814-898-6409. Contact Michelle Brown ([email protected]) to reserve a spot.
- August 13, 9:00 AM - Burke 147 - School of Engineering
- August 13, 1:00 PM - Burke 153 - School of Business
Recording and Audio
We are focused on using Zoom with the integrated technology and for recording. We have installed web cameras at the podiums in 50 classrooms so far. As many of you know, you can not walk too far from a web camera to maintain good audio. So when presenting, please stay closer to the podium in case we do not receive alternative microphones.
The large venue rooms, with in-house audio, include OBS101, Burke 180, and Reed 117. We are working on splitting the house audio into the podium system for your Zoom students or if you need to record.
Whiteboard Options for Zoom
Most classrooms have document cameras connected to the in-ceiling projector. We are working on splitting that signal into the podium systems so your Zoom students or recording can capture your notes. The mass order may also provide some touch screen or pads if document cameras are not present.
The document cameras, when integrated into a podium, will show up in Zoom as a secondary camera. You can switch between the web camera and your notes.
We had many projectors that were still using bulbs. We will be replacing 20 of them with new LED projectors. These may not be integrated into the podium technology yet, so a remote will be in the podium.
Technology tools like iPads and Apple Pencils are available for loan to Penn State STEM faculty who need a way to virtually work through equations. Complete the online request form with your current address and the equipment will be shipped directly to you. (You must be logged in to ServiceNow to directly access the request form.) A return shipping label will be included so that you can return the equipment at the end of the semester you are currently teaching. The iPads and Apple Pencils are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Classroom Technology Renovation Projects
All the technology in OBS 117 and OBS 120 now have improved audio\visual capabilities such as multiple smart boards and TVs .
Penn state will be offering remote access to Behrend’s course software via WebLabs, A link to WebLabs is provided on our Cloud Services web site.
The one-stop web site for Behrend lab and podium software is located at our Software Search web site. Faculty can request software and students can search where software is installed. The site also lists software not available for remote students.
Exterior Wi-Fi is now available... Use your laptop or cell phone from your vehicle while parked outside of the Nick building, on the top floor of the Burke Parking Deck, or on the Reed lawn. (Also, you can find these locations on the campus map of COVID Resources.)