On the Cover:
In the fall of 2016, Penn State Behrend welcomed the largest incoming class in its history: 1,280 first-year students, including Sharease Quinn, left, who is planning to major in Psychology. Quinn is pictured in front of Glennhill Farmhouse with junior Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology major Ryan Miely.
Total enrollment at Behrend is at a record high, with nearly 4,600 students in resident instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students hail from thirty-six U.S. states, districts, and territories, and forty-four countries—from Argentina and Vietnam to Nepal and the Netherlands. Including online programs delivered by Behrend faculty members, enrollment now exceeds 5,100 students!
From this Issue:
- Chancellor's Message
- Two new NCAA sports added
- Engineering alumnus named top innovator
- Also in the News
- Remembering trustee emeritus Ted Junker
- Alumna wins two gold medals at Paralympics
- Pence visits Behrend
- School of Engineering ranked among the best
- Collaborative innovation efforts drawing notice
- Ground broken for new residence hall
- Faculty members explore ideas through research
- Penn State Behrend students abroad
- Books Not the Only Measure of Growth at Lilley Library
- Recommended Reading
- Calculating a better transition from high school to college
- Outreach programs introduce youngsters to Behrend
- Dr. Ed Masteller still teaching in retirement
- Athletic highlights from the fall 2016 season
- A Team in Transition
- Longtime coaches bring experience and Lions share of wins
- Gifts Report
- Alumni News
- Parting Shots
Correction: An earlier version of the article on page 18 misidentified an adult volunteer as Dr. Deborah Aruguete.
Vol. 34 No.1 Penn State Behrend Magazine is published twice a year and provided free to alumni and friends of Penn State Behrend by the Office of Strategic Communications. Executive Editor: William Gonda, [email protected]. Editor: Heather Cass, [email protected]. Contributors: Robb Frederick ‘92, Steve Orbanek, Christine Palattella. Photos: Rob Frank ‘06, Matt Kleck, Tim Rohrbach. Change of address/Unsubscribe: Development and Alumni Relations at 814-898-6159 or [email protected]. Correspondence: Behrend Magazine, 207 Glenhill Farmhouse, 4701 College Drive, Erie, PA 16563-1902. Phone 814-898-6419. Copyright ©2016 Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.
This publication is available in alternative media on request. Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. U.Ed. EBO 17-200