281 BURKE CENTER
ERIE PA 16563
Ph.D. Candidate, State University of New York at Buffalo (2003): Research interests include cross-functional work teams, healthcare work teams, functional and business-level strategy, and business simulations. He teaches courses in strategic management, financial management, organizational behavior, and statistics. Professor Brown has taught at several different colleges and universities, and has small-business consulting experience. His previous industry experience was in commercial and real estate investment, syndication, development, and property management. Professor Brown currently serves on the board of Action for Mental Health, the largest consumer-run, mental health agency in Erie County, New York.
- B ADM 596C: Processing Facility Financial Model
- ECON 004: Introductory Microeconomic Analysis and Policy
- FNC 300: Corporation Finance
- FNC 480: Advanced Financial Analysis
- FNC 501: Financial Management
- MGMT 301 (formerly MANGT 300): Behavioral Concepts for Management
- MGMT 341 (formerly MANGT 340): Introduction to Human Resource Management
- MGMT 471W (formerly MANGT 470W): Strategic Management and Business Policy
- MANGT 495: Internship
- PSU 007: First-Year Seminar
- Community Resources for Independence, Inc., Strategic Planning for Top Management Team and Board of Directors, 2010
- St. Vincent Hospial, 2009
- R. W. Caldwell Associates, Buffalo NY, 2007-08
- The DeVos Graduate School, Northwood University, Midland MI, 2003; 2002
- Adventures Unlimited, Buffalo NY, 1995-2000
- Douglas E. Bunker and Associates, Buffalo NY, 1994-
- How to Deal with Difficult People. Presentation to the Erie Chapter of Society for Human Resource Management, October 2010.
- Guest speaker in B ADM 597, Dr. P. Thom's Controversies in Business Seminar, Summer 2007.
- Guest Speaker, Career and Life Planning Course, Jamestown Community College, Jamestown NY, Spring and Fall 2009; 2008; 2007; 2005.
Participation in Seminars and Workshops
- Performance Management. Presenter. Building a Committed Workforce Symposium, Penn State Erie, Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership, and NWPA Workforce Investment Board, Erie PA, June 2011.
- First Year Seminar. Black School of Business, Penn State Erie, Erie PA:
- Presented two 50 minute sessions on Management, 2011.
- Presented four 50 minute sessions on Personal Responsibility, 2011.
- Speaker on the Business Bridge, 2009.
- Speaker on management major, 2010; 2008; 2007; 2006.
- Integrating Theory, Role Play, and Simulation in the Classroom: A Capstone Experience. Presenter (with D. Parente and J. Stephan). Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management, annual meeting, New Orleans LA, August 2004.
Membership in Professional and Learned Societies
- Society of Human Resource Management, 2010-
- Academy of Management, 2002-
- Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL), 2002-
Service to Public and Private Organizations
- Member, The Resource Center, Jamestown NY. This is a $100 million not-for-profit corporation that provides services for the mentally and physically challenged.
- Finance Committee, 2007-
- Board of Directors, 2005-
- Action for Mental Health, Kenmore, NY:
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, 2002-04
- Council/Board Member, 2000-
Facilitating the Acquisition of Strategic Skills: The Role of Traditional and Soft Managerial Skills, Management Research Review - 2012
Collaborators: Diane Parente; J Stephen
Drug Testing in the Workplace - 2007
Psychological and Honesty Testing in the Workplace - 2007
Same-sex Partner Benefits - 2007
Violence in the Workplace - 2007
Understanding the Big Picture: An Explanatory Model of the Factors Influencing the Acquisition of Strategic Management Skills - August, 2006
Collaborators: Diane Parente, Co-Author; J Stephan
Review Sessions and Results: Competency Testing in the Capstone Business Class, Journal of Instructional Psychology - 2005
Collaborators: Diane Parente; Alfred Warner
Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Balancing Knowledge Using Large Scale Simulations in Capstone Business Strategy Classes, Journal of Management Education - 2002
Collaborators: J Stephan; Diane Parente
Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Integrating Knowledge Using Large Scale Simulations in Capstone Business Strategy Classes - March, 1999
Collaborators: Diane Parente; J Stephan
Other, Strategic Management, SUNY at Buffalo
Other, Finance/Real Estate, Ohio State University
MA, College Student Personnel, Bowling Green State University
BA, Mathematics, Alfred University