Social Studies Teacher Certification for Political Science Majors
Penn State Behrend has worked out an agreement with Edinboro University that allows Behrend political science and history majors to complete all their social studies content coursework at Behrend and then to complete graduate-level coursework at Edinboro in order to obtain Pennsylvania teacher certification in secondary social studies. The Edinboro education coursework and student teaching can potentially be completed within one calendar year. Additional coursework can also be completed in order to earn a master’s degree at Edinboro.
- Edinboro University Admission Requirements
- Penn State Behrend Coursework
- Edinboro University Coursework
- Additional Requirements
- Complete a graduate application (gradschool.edinboro.edu/apply)
- Application fee of $30
- Submit an official transcript
- Minimum 2.80 undergraduate GPA
** For students with a GPA below 2.80, a score from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. Additional information may be requested after a review of your transcripts.
All admission materials should be sent to:
School of Graduate Studies & Research
140 Butterfield Hall
310 Scotland Road
Edinboro, PA 16444
If you have any questions, contact:
Teacher certification students at Edinboro University are not eligible for graduate-level loans unless they are also admitted into a master’s degree program. If you have exhausted the maximum amount at the undergraduate level, you will not be eligible for Stafford Loan Funding. Additional information about financial aid is available through the Edinboro Office of Financial Aid. Please call 814-732-2821 or email [email protected].
Penn State Behrend Coursework
Political Science majors must take PL SC 482 (American State and Urban Politics) as one of the courses in their major. In addition, of the three additional 400-level courses required for the major, be sure at least one is in the subfield of American government, and at least one is in the subfields of either comparative or international politics.
Political Science majors must also take the following courses that can be counted toward general education, toward B.A. degree requirements, or as electives. Taking such courses can easily be completed within the 120 credits needed to complete a Penn State Behrend political science degree in four years.
- ANTH 45N Cultural Diversity: A Global Perspective
- ECON 102 Introductory Microeconomics
- ECON 104 Introductory Macroeconomics
- HIST 10 World History I
- HIST 11 World History II
- HIST 20 American Civilization to 1877
- HIST 21 American Civilization since 1877
- PSYCH 100 Introduction to Psychology
- PSYCH 221 Introduction to Social Psychology
- SOC 001 Introduction to Sociology
- C I 295 Introductory Field Experience for Teachers
- GEOG 6 credits*
*Can substitute 3 credits of 400 level HIST for 3 credits of GEOG
Professional Education Courses for Certification:
- SPED725 Seminar in Mild to Moderate Disabilities
- SPED710 Seminar in Exceptionalities
- SEDU702 Teaching in Contemporary Multicultural Classroom
- SEDU606 Content Literacy in Mid./Sec. School
- SEDU700 Educational Assessment in Mid./Sec.
- SEDU731 Applications of Technology Integration in Education
- SEDU691 Classroom Management in 7-12
- SEDU684 Instructional Techniques for the Teaching of English
- SEDU695 Student Teaching
- SEDU692 Seminar on Teaching Adolescents
- SEDU676 Field Experience
Courses in addition to 600 & 700 level listed above needed to complete Master in Education in Teacher Leadership:
- EDLR 700 Introduction to Educational Leadership
- EDLR 720 Dynamics and Processes for Leading Change
- EDLR 731 School and Community Relations
- EDLR 741 Curriculum Leadership
- EDLR 770 Action Research for Teacher Leadership
- EDLR 775 Educational Leadership Theory and Practice
While attending Penn State Behrend:
- Consult with your academic adviser throughout your Penn State Behrend career to meet undergraduate requirements.
- Obtain Teacher Clearances at edinboro.edu/teacher-clearances
- Apply to Edinboro University, final semester of senior year. Graduate with a B.A. degree from Penn State Behrend.
- Robert Speel, Penn State Behrend, Political Science
814-898-6206 | [email protected]
- Amy Carney, Penn State Behrend, History
814-898-6304 | [email protected]
- Emily Artello, Penn State Behrend, Exploratory and Pre-Major Advising
814-898-6164 | [email protected]
- Brenda Abreu-Baker, Edinboro University Graduate Admissions Coordinator
814-732-1744 | [email protected]