The Premedical Certificate Program is a non-degree-program designed for those who have a baccalaureate degree in a non-science major and decide, post graduation, to apply to medical school (or other health professional schools). In just 15-24 months, students can complete the science course work required to apply for admission to medical, dental, optometry, veterinary science, podiatry, physical therapy, physician assistant, or other professional health schools. This program, which is offered at Penn State Behrend, allows students that need to work to enroll as part-time students.
Penn State Behrend has an active health professions committee that has assisted students in getting placed into many professional schools. The courses you take at Penn State provide excellent preparation for the health care professions.
The program consists of approximately 40-42 credits of science courses in general biology, general and organic chemistry, and physics—all including labs, and a seminar class in Medical Professions. These courses can be completed in four semesters; it may take less time depending on the science courses you may already have taken. Also available are upper-level courses in biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, immunology, and anatomy. These are all regularly offered undergraduate courses taught at Penn State Behrend.
- BIOL 110: Biology: Basic Concepts and Biodiversity with lab (4 credits)
- BIOL 230W: Biology: Molecules and Cells with lab (4 credits)
- BIOL 141: Introductory Physiology (3 credits)
- BIOL 142: Physiology Laboratory (1 credit)
- CHEM 110: Chemical Principles I (3 credits)
- CHEM 111: Experimental Chemistry I (1 credit)
- CHEM 112: Chemical Principles II (3 credits)
- CHEM 113: Experimental Chemistry II (1 credit)
- CHEM 210: Organic Chemistry I (3 credits)
- CHEM 212: Organic Chemistry II (3 credits)
- CHEM 213: Organic Chemistry Lab (2 credits)
- PHYS 250: Introductory Physics I with lab (4 credits)
- PHYS 251: Introductory Physics II with lab (4 credits)
- SC 201: Medical Professions Seminar (1 credit)
- Health professions related course selected in consultation with your adviser (3-5 credits)
(Courses may include MICRB 201/202 or 400 level courses in BIOL, B M B, or MICRB)
Please note, the student needs to check the specific requirements of the individual programs for which they are applying, and work closely with their academic and pre-health advisers to ensure that the prerequisite course for specific health profession schools are met. These courses may include medical terminology, microbiology, biochemistry, human anatomy, introductory psychology and sociology, etc.
If you are interested in obtaining more information regarding this program, please contact:
Please contact the Penn State Behrend Financial Aid Office at 814-898-6162 or [email protected] to discuss financial aid opportunities for the Premedical Certificate.