International Graduate Students

International Graduate Students

Please note that if you are an international student who requires an I-20 visa, you cannot enroll in our MBA program as our 75% online delivery doesn't allow for a student visa to be issued.

If you are in the U.S. on a work visa, you will need to submit additional information for your application to be complete.

1. TOEFL or IELTS scores

The TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language, or IELTS, International English Testing System, must be taken by applicants for whom English is not their first language. This is not required of any student who has a bachelor's or master's degree from an institution in an English-speaking country or a regionally accredited American four-year institution. International applicants are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement who have received a baccalaureate or a graduate degree from a college/university/institution in any of the following: Australia, Belize, British Caribbean and British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), England, Guyana, Republic of Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the United States, and Wales.

  • Penn State's Institution Code: 2660 (all Penn State locations)
  • Department Code: 02
  • Select "Penn State" as your choice for ETS to send your scores to our central database

The Graduate School at University Park receives score reports monthly. Applicants must demonstrate a score of 80 (IBT exam), 550 (paper-based exam), or 213 (computer-based exam) on the TOEFL exam to be admissible to the program. A minimum of 19 is required on the Speaking Skills section of the Internet-based exam. The IELTS minimum score is 6.5.

  • Penn State Behrend doesn't offer an Intensive English Communication program.
  • Applicants cannot be considered for admission unless the minimum requirements stated above, are met.

2. Transcripts/marksheets and diploma from institutions attended

  • Upload copies of official transcripts/documents (this may include marksheets, record of courses, degree/study certificate, original diploma, etc.)  from all post-secondary institutions attended and official English translation if the language of instruction is not English
  • If admission is offered and accepted, you will be contacted by the Graduate School with instructions on submitting official transcripts (or international equivalent as stated above) from all post-secondary institutions attended, together with an official English translation of all official documents if the language of instruction was not English. 

Translations to English should be conducted by Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc.

Please note: Individuals who are already in the United States on a work or dependent visa will need to provide scanned copies of the original passport, visa, and I-94 to the International Student Services staff at Penn State University Park, University Office of Global Programs.

Resources for students with international credentials