In addition to the general prerequisites for admission to the Graduate School, the following is required by the ACPSY degree program:
- GPA: Students must have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 credits of course work. The undergraduate work must include a statistics course and a psychology research methods course with grades of B or higher.
- Education: The applicant must have completed at least 18 credits in psychology as part of their four-year Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Supporting Materials: recommendations, statement, GRE scores and a personal interview, if admissible.
To be considered for admission to the Applied Clinical Psychology program at Penn State Behrend, you must have received a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited institution under residence and credit conditions substantially equivalent to those required by Penn State. International applicants must hold the equivalent of an American four-year baccalaureate degree and must submit scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
Admission to the ACPSY program is granted jointly by the Graduate School of Penn State University and Penn State Behrend's School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
You should apply using Firefox or Chrome as Internet Explorer is not compatible with the Graduate School application.
You may apply for admission to Penn State Behrend's ACPSY program in a fall semester, only. You can submit the online application prior to taking the GRE.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning February 1st; final date for submission of a completed application is May 31, 2017.
Individuals who require a student visa (who are not in the U.S.) must submit a complete application before or by February 13, 2017, for fall 2017.
1. Submit Penn State’s Graduate School Online Application.
If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit the website.
If you have read both the Graduate School requirements and the ACPSY requirements (below) and are ready to apply, you may proceed to the application.
Note that once you submit your application, you can still access it to upload documents but you cannot replace unofficial transcripts with official, see below.
Skip questions you don't know such as Jr./Sr. GPA, GRE scores, etc.
2. Upload a Statement of Interest to the application (1 to 2 pages). Address the following:
- Why have you chosen to pursue Penn State Behrend's ACPSY degree?
- How will these studies help you achieve your personal and professional goals?
- How will your participation contribute to Penn State Behrend's ACPSY program?
- Indicate your current, or most recent, work, internship and/or clinical experiences.
- You can use this statement to address any concerns that you have pertaining to GRE scores, UG GPA, etc.
3. Upload Official transcripts. Don’t upload advising transcripts or ones that have UNOFFICIAL marked on them. Once uploaded, you cannot delete them.
We recommend that you order two official (sealed) transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Open one envelope and upload this to the application. Keep the other transcript sealed; this will be sent to the Graduate School later in the process, if you are offered admission.
Penn State alumni do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at Penn State, but must list Penn State as part of his/her academic history.
Upload an Official transcript from each institution attended, regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed.
Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
Upon admission and your acceptance of admission, you will be asked to send an additional official (sealed) transcript to the Graduate School located at University Park. You will receive instructions directly from the Graduate School. If you have not yet completed your degree, you will be required to submit final and official transcripts, upon graduation.
4. Submit contact information for three individuals who will complete the online references/recommendation form.
The ACPSY program requires three recommendations; current undergraduate students are required to have faculty within their academic school submit a minimum of two of the three recommendations. Register each individual and their postal and email addresses on the online application; they will receive an email directing them to complete a web-based form. Recommenders will not be sent an email until you have submitted the application; allow them plenty of time to meet the application deadline. If you have questions about appropriate recommenders, please contact Dr. Melanie Hetzel-Riggin, ACPSY Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Submit GRE scores.
The GRE must have been taken within five years of applying to the program. There is not a minimum score requirement. Note that GRE scores are sent electronically to Penn State but may take up to three weeks to be recorded and viewable.
- On the day of GRE testing: Select Pennsylvania State University (School Code: 2660) as a score recipient.
- We will be able to view your scores within 21 days.
6. Individuals with international credentials, learn about additional international requirements.