1 PRISCHAK BUILDING
ERIE PA 16563
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Structural Chemistry
- Novel Biometic Transition Metal Complexes
- Homogenous Catalysis
One of my research interests includes the synthesis and structural characterization of transition metal complexes with macrocyclic ligands. Macrocyclic ligands are organic molecules which contain several atoms with lone-pair electrons (donor atoms) as part of a large ring of atoms. The donor atoms can bond to a variety of metal ions through the lone-pair. This usually places the metal at the center of the ring. Macrocyclic compounds are found extensively in nature, playing a role in some very important biological processes. The conversion of light energy from the sun into electrical and chemical energy in photosynthesis depends on a magnesium containing macrocyle, in methanogenic bacteria converts carbon dioxide to methane. The naturally occurring molecules are often very complex and difficult to study because there are usually associated with proteins. One approach used to help chemists understand complex processes is to make model compounds which have characteristics similar to the natural molecule. Model compounds can often provide insight into the important factors of the structure of the naturally occurring complexes as well as giving information into the design of systems which can mimic biological behavior. Much of the research in this area has involved such topics as catalysis, organic synthesis, and analytical methods in both industrial and medicinal applications.
Students who decide to work in our group will be involved in the synthesis and characterization of new classes of macrocyclic ligands, making electronic and steric modifications to previously studied macrocycles, and making new DPK analogs. They will have the opportunity to use a variety of analytical techniques to characterize the complexes, including IR, NMR, UV-vis and magnetic susceptibility. We can also use the powerful method of X-ray crystallography to get a detailed, 3-dimensional view of our compounds when suitable crystals are isolated.
Funded Projects and Grants
- WEB Accessible Single Crystal X-Ray Diffractometer for Undergraduate Instruction at a Consortium of Predominantly Undergraduate Institution. Hunter, A.D. (principal investigator), L.M. Hoistad, A.J. Jircitano (co-principal investigator), T.R. Wagner, and E.P. Zovinka. The Ohio Board of Reagents Action Fund, submitted through Youngstown State University, $75,000, January 2001-December 2003.
- WEB Accessible Single Crystal X-Ray Diffractometer for Undergraduate Instruction at a Consortium of Predominantly Undergraduate Institutions. Hunter, A.D. (principal investigator), L.M. Hoistad, A.J. Jircitano
- (co-principal investigator), T.R. Wagner, and E.P. Zovinka. National Science Foundation, Division of Undergraduate Education, Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Instrumentation, Adapt & Implement, submitted through Youngstown State University, $200,000,
- January 2001-December 2002.
- Instrument Proposal. Spectroscopic Society of Pittsburgh, $3,250, June 1998.
- Analytical Instrumentation Proposal, Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh, $4,942, March 1993.
- Research Opportunity Award, National Science Foundation. Visiting Faculty Member at the State University of New York at Buffalo, working in the laboratory of Dr. Kenneth J. Takeuchi, $5,925, June 1991-August 1991.
- Nickel Complexes of Synthetic Macrocyclic Ligands as Models of Coenzyme F430. Behrend Faculty Research Incentive Grant, $2,600, July 1989.
- An Ultraviolet-Visible Computing Spectrophotometer for Laboratory Courses and Undergraduate Research. Jircitano, A.J. (principal investigator) and M. Chisholm (co-investigator). National Science Foundation, $7,432, June 1987-May 1988.
- Full Color Large Flat Panel Image Display Systems with Tru-Lyte Systems, Inc., R. Marande (principal investigator), and A.J. Jircitano (co-investigator). Ben Franklin Partnership of the Advanced Technology Center of Northwest Pennsylvania, $26,200, September 1986-August 1987.
- Full Color Large Flat Panel Image Display Systems with Tru-Lyte Systems, Inc., R. Marande (principal investigator), and A.J. Jircitano (co-investigator). Ben Franklin Partnership of the Advanced Technology Center of Northwest Pennsylvania, $24,000, September 1985-August 1986.
Coordination chemistry; Macrocycles; Organic synthesis
Synthesis and Study of Hexanuclear Molybdenum Clusters Containing Thiolate Ligands, Inorganic Chemistry - 2008
Revisiting the Electric Pickle Demonstration, Journal of Chemical Education - 2005
Remarkable Spectator Ligand Effect on the Rate Constant of Ligand Substitution of (Aqua)ruthenium(II) Complexes, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 2001
Trans-Diaquobis(2-thienyl-2-pyridyl ketone-O, N)copper(II) Tetrafluoroborate, Acta Crystallographica - 1998
Bis(di-2-pyridylmethanediol-N, N') palladium(II) Dichloride Tetrahydrate and Dichloro(di-2-pyridylmethanediol-N, N')-gold(III) Chloride., Acta Crystallographica - 1997
Chlorobis(N N'-di-2-pyridyl ketone oximato)gold(III) Hydrate, Acta Crystallographica - 1997
Trans-Bis[4-amino-3, 5-bis(2-pyridyl)-1,2,4-triazole-N1,N']copper(II) Bis(tetrafluoroborate), Acta Crystallographica - 1997
Catena-Poly(silver-µ-[di-2-pyridyl ketone]-N',O:N'O) Tetrafluoroborate., Acta Crystallographica - 1996
Distortions from Trigonal Prismatic Geometry for Several Structurally Characterized Clathrochelate Complexes: Significance of π-Backbonding on Clathrochelate Coordination Geometry., Inorganica Chimica Acta. - 1996
Crystal structures of trans-[Ru(dppe)2(CO)(Cl)](BF4).2(toluene) and trans-[Ru(dppm)2(CO)(Cl)] (BF4).CH2Cl2: a Study of the Steric and Electronic Ligand Effects of trans-Position Diphosphine Ligands, Inorganica Chimica Acta - 1995
The Synthesis and Structure of Two Novel metals-di-2-pyridyl Ketone Oxime Dimers, Inorganica Chimica Acta - 1995
The Self-Condensation of a Derivative of o-Aminobenzaldehyde. Structure of the Polycyclic Bisanhydro Trimer of 2-Amino-5-bromobenzaldehyde., Acta Crystallographica - 1994
Steric Ligand Effects of Six Bidentate Bipyridyl Ligands, Inorganic Chemistry - 1993
Sterically Hindered Nickel(II) and Iron(II) Lacunar Cyclidene Complexes Containing gem-Dimethyl Groups on Their Saturated Chelate Rings, Inorganic Chemistry - 1991
Structure of Bis(1,3-diphenyl-1,3-propanedionato-O,O')(1,2-ethanediamine-N,N')-nickel(II)., Acta Crystallographica - 1990
Synthesis and Structural Characterization of a Neutral Lacunar Complex Formed by Deprotonation of Ethyl Groups of the Cyclidene Macrocycle., Inorganic Chemistry - 1990
A Novel Family of Binuclear Cobalt(II) Complexes with Face-to-Face Bis(cyclidene) Ligands: Structural Characterization, Unusual Reactions with Dioxygen, Inactive Host-Guest Complexation with a Bridging Ligand, Inorganic Chemistry - 1988
Bicyclic Nickel(II) Cyclidene Complexes Bridged by Cyclohexane and Bis(phenoxy)butane Groups, Acta Crystallographica - 1987
Steric Control of Electronic Effects in Diacetylated Nickel(II) Schiff Base Complexes., Inorganic Chemistry - 1987
Transition-Metal Complexes of Superstructured Cyclidene Macrobicycles: Structural Features and Their Chemical Consequences. 1. Complexes of the Unbridged Cyclidene Ligands and of Precursor Ligands., Inorganic Chemistry - 1987
Characterization of an Unexpected Product in a Schiff Base Condensation Involving Platinum(II), Inorganica Chimica Acta1 - 1985
Ligands with Dual Denticity: Crystal and Molecular Structure of Dichloro-bis (o-(diphenylphosphino)benzaldehyde)platinum(II), Inorganica Chimica Acta - 1985
Synthesis and Characterization of Multiple Substituted Lacunar Macrobicyclic Complexes of Nickel(II)- a Representative Crystal Structure- and Preparation of Corresponding Free Ligands., Inorganic Chemistry - 1984
Crystallographic and Spectroscopic Studies of Low-Symmetry Nickel(II) Complexes Possessing Long Nickel-Nitrogen Bonds, Inorganic Chemistry - 1983
Methyl Substituted Tribenzo[b,f,j][1,5,9]triazacycloduodecine with Copper(II) Ion: A Dynamic Jahn-Teller Effect, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 1983
Stabilization of Polyiodide Chains: Structural Influences in the Cation As Provided by the Metal Ion and Its Ligand, Inorganic Chemistry - 1983
Steric and Electronic Influences of Methyl Substitution on Transition-Metal Complexes of Tetrabenzo[b,f,j,n][1,5,9,13]tetraazacyclohexadecine, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 1983
C-C Bond Formation by Reductive Coupling of Two Carbonyl Ligands of Binuclear Transition-Metal Complexes, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 1982
Tridentate to Bidentate in a Platinum(II) Chelate: A 90° Anthranilaldehyde Rotation, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 1981
Unique Octaiodide Configuration in Congested Macrocyclic Ligand Complexes, Inorganic Chemistry - 1981
Sterically Hindered, Saddle-Shaped Complexes of Palladium(II) and Platinum(II) and Their Reaction with Iodine, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 1979
Ph D, Inorganic Chemistry, University of Kansas
BS, Chemistry, Niagara University