Please note that PaSSS will be held virtually in 2020. For more information about the program or tech requirements, visit summerstart.psu.edu.
Picture Your Success at Penn State Behrend!
Penn State Behrend knows that access to higher education and the ability to pay for tuition are two of the biggest factors that determine whether a high school student will earn a college degree.
Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) is a six-week program that offers select first-year Behrend students tools and resources that increase the likelihood that they not only will earn a Penn State degree, but also will do so in four years or fewer, potentially saving their families thousands of dollars in tuition and fees.
PaSSS students benefit by:
- Starting college in a more relaxed summer setting.
- Becoming familiar with the campus, meeting faculty and staff, and learning about campus resources prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
- Meeting classmates earlier and making new groups of friends.
- Building résumé skills through work experience and serving as a peer mentor.
- Receiving personalized math instruction to increase college readiness.
- Receiving personalized English instruction for non-native speakers, if needed.
- Receiving special financial incentives: A scholarship of at least $1,900 the first summer (based on 6 credits of coursework) and a scholarship of $3,400 the second summer (12 credits of coursework), plus a campus job that pays $10 an hour for 100 hours of work in the first academic year and up to 200 hours of work in the second year.
PaSSS begins the summer prior to the student’s first year at Penn State Behrend. Participants who successfully complete their first year at the college will be eligible to continue the program the following summer. To be eligible for PaSSS, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Eligible for a federal Pell grant or a Pennsylvania PHEAA grant
- First-generation college student
- Member of an underrepresented group
- Additional math preparation needed, based on ALEKS math assessment score
Estimated Costs and Scholarships
Type of Cost
|Tuition for 6 credits||$3,456||$5,742|
|Total cost to student||$1,878||$4,164|
Some students may be eligible for a Pell Grant of up to $1,511 and additional scholarship money or other financial aid. Need more information about financial aid eligibility and PaSSS? Find contact information at the bottom of the page.
If you'd like to apply for the PaSSS experience:
You can apply to be considered for participation in the program by filling out the online PaSSS application.
If chosen for the summer 2020 PaSSS program, you will be required to:
- Accept your offer of admission by submitting Penn State’s $330 enrollment and housing fee no later than Monday, June 1, and give Penn State permission to change your start date from fall 2020 to summer 2020.
- File a 2019-20 FAFSA by Friday, May 29, so that you are eligible for summer financial aid.
- Complete your ALEKS math assessment by Friday, May 29.
- Respond to a course selection email to be enrolled in summer courses by Monday, June 1.
- Schedule your virtual New Student Orientation by June 1 for an NSO date as early as possible in June to schedule your fall classes.
- Attend all virtual PaSSS orientation sessions in May and June.
- Participate in two Summer Session II courses. Summer Session II begins Wednesday, July 1, and ends Friday, August 14.
- Participate fully in tutoring and mentoring activities, academic skills development workshops, Penn State technology workshops, and the ALEKS Math Academy.
If you have questions about PaSSS or need more information before accepting your invitation to participate, contact Fatima Kelly, PaSSS program coordinator, at [email protected] or 814-898-6960.