NOTE: We will remain open and will continue work during the coronavirus situation and the shift to online learning for Penn State Behrend students. However, meetings with staff of the Innovation Commons will be virtual (phone/email/video) unless meeting in person is required and urgent.
An open ideation, product development, and prototyping center staffed by skilled students guiding innovators and entrepreneurs through early development stages.
Located on the first floor of Burke Center at Penn State Behrend, the Innovation Commons is open to all entrepreneurs and innovators throughout Erie County and the surrounding region, including those at the student level, who are seeking a place to organize, collaborate, compose, and construct their ideas.
Working for You
- 180+ projects for 120+ entrepreneurs, industry, and the community
- 9 patent applications
- 10 start-ups founded and 11 products on shelves
- 320 students and 230 youth engaged
Product Development and Prototyping
Penn State engineering students will work directly with you, offering
- Early-stage product design
- Computer-aided drafting
- Electrical component design
- No-cost 3D printing of prototypes
- Laser cutting and engraving
- 3D scanning
- Product feasibility consultation
- 3D printer technical support for schools
Ideation and Collaboration Space
- Comfortable setting
- Whiteboard space and writable tables
- High-end computing with the help of Penn State students
Engage with the Innovation Beehive Network
Innovation Commons can connect you with the other Innovation Beehive sites throughout the region:
- Blasco Library’s Idea Lab offers a makerspace with courses to explore your interests
- Edinboro University for marketing and branding solutions
- Gannon University for business planning assistance
- Mercyhurst University for business intelligence studies
- Quickstarter for expert crowdfunding campaign support
Have an idea? We want to help!
To access the Innovation Commons, contact us by email or by calling
- What is your idea?
- How far along in development are you?
- What do you think you need the most help with?
- If you don't know what you need, then answering this question is where we will begin.