1 PRISCHAK BUILDING
ERIE PA 16563
B.S. 1985: Geology (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
M.S. 1986: Petroleum Geology, National University of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Ph.D. 1994: Oceanography, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA
- Earth Science
- Coastal Geology
- Environmental Geology
Funded Projects and Grants
- S Rafferty (Pennsylvania Sea Grant); AM Foyle (Penn State Erie, Environmental Science); M Naber (Penn State Erie, Environmental Science); and K Noce, (Penn State Erie, MIS). Pennsylvania Great Lakes Services Integration Project. Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. $716,711. 2015-2018.
- AM Foyle (Environmental Science Program) and MW Justik (Chemistry Program). Hydrology of a late Holocene cat's-eye pond sequence, Presque Isle, Pennsylvania. Penn State Institutes of Energy and the Environment. $5,000. 2014-2015.
- Implementation of a Beach Sanitary Survey at Presque Isle State Park Beaches Two and Ten, Erie, PA. Range, D. (ECDH-principal Investigator), J. Covert (co-principal investigator), L. Boughton (co-principal investigator), R. Diz (co-principal investigator), A. Foyle (co-principal investigator), and S. Mauro (co-principal investigator). Submitted Through the Erie County Department of Health (ECDH) and the Regional Science Consortium (TREC) in Collaboration with Investigators from Gannon Behrend, and Mercyhurst. United States Environmental Protection Agency, $135,000. October 2007-2008.
- Raising Awareness of Long-Term Sediment Loading, Presque Isle Bay, PA. Foyle, A. (principal investigator) and K. Norton (co-principal investigator). Great Lakes Commission, Great Lakes Basin Program for Soil Erosion and Sediment Control. $50,100. July 2004-June 2006.
- An Integrated GIS-Based Approach to Quantifying the Rates of, and Stratigraphic Controls on Coastal Change on the Georgia Bight. Alexander, C. (principal investigator), A. Foyle (co-principal investigator), D. Bush (co-principal investigator), S. Langley (co-principal investigator), V. Henry (co-principal investigator), N. Driscoll (co-principal investigator), and P. Gayes (co-principal investigator). United States Geological survey/South Carolina Sea Grant. $228,000. 2000-2003.
- Structure and Stratigraphy of the Gulf Trough, Onshore Georgia. Henry, V. (principal investigator), A. Foyle (co-principal investigator), and J. Reichard (co-principal investigator). Georgia Department of Natural Resources – Environmental Protection Division. $34,000. 2001.
Coastal Geology, Sequence Stratigraphy, Environmental Geophysics
The Bluff Erosion Potential Index - A Process-Geometric Model to Map Erosion Hazards on the PA Coast of Lake Erie, Part I - Bluff Retreat and Index Methodology - December, 2019
The Lake Erie Bluff Coast of Pennsylvania: A State of Knowledge Report on Coastal Change Patterns, Processes, and Management, PA Sea Grant & PA DEP WALTeR websites - June, 2018
Bluff Erosion Hazards and Construction Setbacks on the Great Lakes Coasts of the United States: A Review, WIT Transactions on the Built Environment 173, 149-160 - October (4th Quarter/Autumn), 2017
Groundwater flux as a determinant of coastal-zone upland loss: a case study from the Pennsylvania coast of Lake Erie, USA, Environmental Earth Sciences - October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 19, 2013
Decade-scale Coastal Bluff Retreat from LiDAR Data: Lake Erie Coast of NW Pennsylvania, Environmental Earth Sciences Journal - 2011
Lidar Mapping of Short-term Bluff Recession, Lake Erie, Pennsylvania, USA, Roles of Bluff Geomorphology and Groundwater Flux, Fragile Earth Conference - September, 2011
Estuary Remediation Challenges in the U.S. ‘Rust Belt’: A Case Study from Presque Isle Bay, Lake Erie, Pennsylvania, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference Littoral 2008: A Changing Coast - 2008
The Influence of Drainage Hierarchy on Pathways of Barrier Retreat: An Example from Chincoteague Bight, Southeastern Geology - 2008
Geo-Feasibility of In-Situ Sediment Capping in a Great Lakes Urban Estuary: A Sediment Budget Assessment, Environmental Geology - 2007
Late Holocene Nearshore Change at a Nontidal Transgressive Systems Tract Strandplain Complex, Journal of Coastal Research - 2006
Sediment Loading During the 20th Century in Presque Isle Bay, Journal of Great Lakes Research - 2006
Historical Sediment Dispersal Along Open-Lake Shoreface and Protected Back-Bay Environments, Presque Isle, Pennsylvania: Natural and Anthropogenic Influences, Proceedings of the International Coastal Symposium - June, 2005
Georgia-South Carolina Coastal Erosion Study: Phase 2 Southern Study Region State of Knowledge Report and Semi-Annotated Bibliography, South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium - 2004
Between Beds and Sequences: Stratigraphic Organization at Intermediate Scales in the Quaternary of the Virginia Coast, Sedimentology - 2003
Mapping the Threat of Seawater Intrusion in a Regional Coastal Aquifer-Aquitard System in the Southeastern United States., Environmental Geology. - December, 2002
The Miocene Aquitard and the Floridan Aquifer of the Georgia/South Carolina Coast: Geophysical Mapping of Potential Seawater Intrusion Sites, Georgia Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Division, Georgia Geologic Survey Bulletin 132 - 2002
Using Marine Reflection Seismics to Identify Potential Seawater Intrusion Sites in the Upper Floridan Aquifer of Coastal Georgia and South Carolina, Proceedings of the Georgia Water Resources Conference - March, 2001
Phase I Findings Report: Miocene Aquiclude Mapping Project, Georgia Geologic Survey Project Report 39 - 1999
Erosion and Accretion Trends Along the Lake Michigan Shore at North Point Marina and Illinois Beach State Park, Illinois State Geological Survey, Open File Series - 1998
Erosion and Accretion Trends Along the Lake Michigan Shore at North Point Marina and Illinois Beach State Park, Illinois State Geological Survey, Open File Series - 1997
Transgressive Systems Tract Development and Incised-Valley Fills Within a Quaternary Estuary-Shelf System; Virginia Inner Shelf, USA, Marine Geology - 1997
Erosion and Accretion Trends Along the Lake Michigan Shore at North Point Marina and Illinois Beach State Park, Illinois State Geological Survey, Open Files Series - 1996
Drainage Displacement and Capture by Sea-Level Fluctuation at the Outer Margin of the Chesapeake Seaway, Journal of Coastal Research - 1995
Coastal Behavior of Inlets and Barrier Islands Along Tide-Dominated Sections of Large Coastal Compartments, Large Scale Coastal Behavior ‘93, United States Geologic Survey Open File Report - 1993
Regressive to Transgressive Quaternary Deposits in a Delmarva Coastal Lagoon, Hog Island Bay, Virginia, Studies in Eastern Energy and the Environment - 1993
Seismic Stratigraphy and Coastal Drainage Patterns in the Quaternary Section of the Southern Delmarva Peninsula, Virginia, USA, Sedimentary Geology - 1992
Implications of Tide-Dominated Lagoonal Processes on the Preservation of Buried Channels on a Sediment-Starved Continental Shelf, Shelf Sand and Sandstone Bodies: Geometry, Facies, and Sequence Stratigraphy - 1991
Ph D, Oceanography, Old Dominion University
MS, Petroleum Geology, NUI University College Dublin
BS, Geology, Honors, NUI University College Galway