PENN STATE BEHREND
281 BURKE CENTER
ERIE PA 16563
M.B.A., The Pennsylvania State University (1993); Research and teaching interests include project management, statistics for business decisions, and operations management. Carol has previous industry experience in paper manufacturing and R&D.
I believe students learn and retain concepts better in an interactive, hands-on environment. Regardless of the subject matter, the emphasis for learning is on improving decision-making skills to prepare students for their careers. This is partly accomplished through small and large group discussions of current, real-life examples using both technical and behavioral skills. At other times, I use hands-on activities using familiar materials (such as M&M's) to aid learning. I tend to treat my class like an informal business to foster open communication, mutual respect, and responsibility. Getting to know my students is important, so that I can encourage and help them develop their own unique potential to positively impact the business community.
- MGMT 409: Project Management for Engineers
- MGMT 410: Project Management
- SCM 200 (formerly MS&IS 200): Introduction to Statistics for Business Decisions
- SCM 301 (formerly SCM 310 and MGMT 310): Operations Management
Participation in Seminars and Workshops
- Operations Management. Presenter, First-year Seminar. Black School of Business, Penn State Erie, Erie PA, Fall 2010.
- Innovative Education. Session chair, Midwest Decision Sciences Institute, annual meeting, Erie PA, April 2008.
- Penn State College Teaching Seminar Series. Center for Teaching and Educational Technologies, Penn State Erie, Erie PA:
- How Do I Know They Are Learning? Using Classroom Assessment
- Techniques to Enhance Teaching. October 2006.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Decision Sciences Institute, 2009.
Service to Public and Private Organizations
- Coordinated donation of Cancer-fest basket to raise student awareness.
- Member, Nonprofit Community Development Committee, DNE Inc., North East PA, 2010.
- Participant, Brig Niagara tour/meeting to discuss competitiveness and a business plan, Erie PA, February 2009.
Pedagogical activities to increase student learning and retention
MBA, Business Administration, The Pennsylvania State University
BS, Concurrent Major: Paper Science and Engineering; German, The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Points