PENN STATE BEHREND
1 PRISCHAK BUILDING
ERIE PA 16563
- Review Panelist, Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program, Golden, CO, 2014
- Associate Program Director, National Science Foundation Division of Earth Sciences, Arlington, VA, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Associate Project Director, Virginia Tech Center for Sustainable Nanotechnology, Blacksburg, VA, 2010, 2011
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, (NSF Postdoctoral Fellow 2006-2009), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Visiting Research Scientist, (NSF East Asian Pacific Sumer Institute program participant), Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, 2006
- Graduate Student Research Assistant, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Graduate Student Research Assistant, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1999
- Research Intern, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1999
- Intern, Mannheim Program for Bilingual Careers, Mannheim, Germany, 1998, 1999
- Argonne National Laboratory Research Intern, Argonne, IL, 1998, 1999
- Intern, NSF undergraduate program, Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, IL, 1999
Honors and Awards
- US National Academics Young Observers for International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC), 2013 - represented US at IUPAC General Assembly, Istanbul, Turkey.
- National Science Foundation Minority Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2006.
- Nation Science Foundation East Asian Pacific Summer Institute Fellowship, 2006.
- National Science Foundation Minority Graduate Fellowship, 1998.
- Phi Beta Kappa Society of Chicago, 1998.
- University of Chicago Richter Grant, 1997.
- University of Chicago Dean's List, 1994-1998.
My overall aim in my courses is enabling students to take the concepts they learn beyond problem sets in the classroom. I want them to be able to see how couse material connects to multiple aspects of their lives and future careers. I want to enable them to apply concepts from my classes to problem solving in any applicable context. I see my position as one of helping to provide skills that can be useful for them for the rest of their lives.
Teaching Specialties and Interests
- Environmental: Environment (geo)chemistry and analysis, Biogeochemistry and Geomicrobiology, General geochemistry, and Nanomaterials in the Environment.
- Chemistry: Materials Chemistry, General Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, and Introductory Organic Chemistry.
- Special topics: Science communication, Sustainable Chemistry, Introduction to Nanosciences, and Nanotechnology.
- Adviser and reviewer for NSF East Asian Pacific Summer Institutes (EAPSI) South Korea program, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Virginia Tech International Friendship Program host, 2009 (teach international students about American culture, assist with daily life).
- Co-chair for American Geophysical Union meeting, Environmental Nanomaterials, 2007.
- UC Berkeley Mental Health Advisory Committee, 2005-2006, (advised university health workers and professors about student mental health).
Palladium release from catalytic converter materials induced by road de-icer components chloride and ferrocyanide, Chemosphere - 2019
Enhanced release of palladium and platinum from catalytic converter materials exposed to ammonia and chloride bearing solutions , Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts - November 13, 2018
The role of twin boundary and surface energies in periodically-twinned <111> nanowires, Acta Materialia - 2014
Antimicrobial nanotechnology: Its potential for the effective management of microbial drug resistance and implications for research needs in microbial nanotoxicology, Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts - 2013
Low-Temperature Green Synthesis of Multivalent Manganese Oxide Nanowires, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering - 2013
Nanopores in Hematite (a-Fe2O3) Nanocrystals Observed by Electron Tomography, American Mineralogist - 2013
The National Science Foundation’s Investment in Sustainable Chemistry, Engineering, and Materials, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering - 2013
Naturally Occurring Inorganic Nanoparticles: General Assessment and a Global Budget for One of Earth’s Last Unexplored Major Geochemical Co - 2012
Influence of Size, Morphology, Surface Structure, and Aggregation State and Reductive Dissolution of Hematite Nanoparticles with Ascorbic Acid, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta - 2012
Self-assembly of magnetic nanoparticles in evaporating solution, Journal of the American Chemical Society - 2011
Bacteria-nanoparticle interactions and their environmental implications, Environmental Chemistry - 2010
Interaction of CdSe/CdS core-shell quantum dots and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Environmental Chemistry - 2010
Influence of size and aggregation state on the dissolution of an environmentally and industrially relevant nanomineral (PbS), Environmental Science and Technology - 2009
Orientation-specific investigations of CdSe nanorod surfaces by extended X-ray absorption fine structure (EXAFS), Journal of Physical Chemistry C - 2007
Collective behavior in two-dimensional cobalt nanoparticle assemblies observed by magnetic forces microscopy, Nature Materials - 2004
Ph D, Chemistry (Materials Physical), University of California, Berkeley
BS, Biological Chemistry, University of Chicago