Pre-Approval for the Industrial Engineering Internship Credit
Student Name: ___________________________________________________________ Email: _______________________________
Major: _________________________________________________________________ Semester Standing: _____________________
Company & Address: ____________________________________________________________________________________________
Supervisor Name: _________________________________________________________ Email: _______________________________
Course (circle one): M E 395 M E 495
Number of Credits: ________ (1 credit for a 395 course/2 credits for a 495 course)
Semester Registered: _____________________________________________________________________________________________
The objective of the internship experience for credit is for the student to demonstrate that a majority of the outcomes listed below are met:
The student should demonstrate that he/she is:
- able to solve problems typically encountered by engineers in industry.
- able to identify and address social, economic, and safety issues in an engineering problem and develop a solution that addresses this.
- able to learn new concepts and apply them to the solution of engineering problems.
- able to function effectively on a multidisciplinary team.
- able to interface effectively with other areas of the organization.
- able to clearly communicate their ideas orally.
- able to clearly communicate their ideas in writing.
- technically competent.
- prepared for a lifelong productive career as an engineer.
Conditions for M E 395 credit
- The student is responsible for obtaining an internship position. Contact the Academic and Career Planning Center for assistance.
- 1 credit will be awarded for either a single semester or a first summer internship assignment.
- Student must be accepted into the Industrial Engineering program (IES BD) and have completed the following courses with a C or better: E MCH 211 (Statics), E MCH 213 (Strength of Materials), CMPSC 200 (Programming for engineers with Matlab)).
- The internship must be pre-approved by the program chair before the start of the internship assignment. This includes a statement of intended work with supervisor signature.
- Must be engineering related activities subject to approval by the IE faculty.
Conditions for M E 495 credit
Same criteria as for M E 395 with the following restrictions:
- 2 credits will be awarded for a second summer engineering internship.
- Student must be accepted into the Industrial Engineering program (IES BD) and have a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or higher.
- Student must identify a project, obtain faculty approval, and make a presentation to a faculty committee upon completion.
The final grade will be determined based on a combination of the following 3 items:
- Student’s mid-term progress report.
- Student’s final report and self-assessment at completion of the internship assignment.
- Supervisor’s evaluation of the intern in regards to the academic outcomes at the completion of the internship assignment.
If the internship experience is during the academic year, you agree to: 1) work no more than 15 hours/week, and 2) take no more than 18 credits including the internship course.
Registering for Credit
Student must register for internship credit during the period (including summers) of the work assignment. Registering for internship credits during a semester in which you are not interning will not be allowed.
Statement of Intended Work
Please attach a description (not to exceed a single page) of the proposed engineering internship assignment.
Student: ____________________________________________ Date: ______________
Supervisor:__________________________________________ Date: ______________
Program Chair: _______________________________________ Date: ______________
Please print this page and fill out.
Completed forms should be submitted to the Industrial Engineering Program Chair.