Penn State Behrend’s Black School of Business recently inducted 34 students into the Beta Gamma Sigma international business honor society, which recognizes scholastic excellence in the world’s top business schools. The students were enrolled in the college’s residential programs and in Penn State World Campus majors that are administered by the Black School of Business.
Beta Gamma Sigma has recognized the top students in business disciplines since 1913. Membership is limited to students in collegiate chapters at schools accredited by AACSB International – the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The Black School of Business is the only school in the Erie region to hold the AACSB designation.
To be considered for membership, students must rank in the top 10% of bachelor’s degree programs or the top 20% of graduate programs.
“Being inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma represents a high achievement for students,” said Greg Filbeck, director of the Black School of Business. “Beta Gamma Sigma is only available to AACSB-accredited schools, which represent fewer than 5% of business schools worldwide. Once enrolled, students must distinguish themselves among their peers in terms of academic achievement.
“We are proud of our new inductees,” he said.
The Behrend inductees join a network of more than 875,000 business professionals in more than 190 countries.
Joi Goffus, a member of the talent acquisition and development team at Bechtel Plant Machinery and a member of the Black School’s Business Advisory Board, was this year’s honorary Beta Gamma Sigma inductee and the keynote speaker at the event, which was virtual, due to the pandemic.
The student inductees were:
- Quincy M. Adams, Franklin
- Christian Beecher, Lutz, Florida
- Zachary William Bruno, Erie
- Alexis Burkhart, North East
- Connor Bryant, Overland Park, Kansas
- Angelica Timm Castro, Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
- Samantha Ciprich, Erie
- Brandon Nicklaus Cousins, Cranberry Township
- John Vincent Culhane, Pittsford, New York
- Steven P. Dill Jr., Erie
- Madison Elizabeth Finnerty, Panama, New York
- Sarah M. Flessas, Falls Church, Virginia
- Marley Good, Butler
- Shannon Michele Gregg, Coalport
- Michael Vincent Gregory, Erie
- Katelyn Harker, Duncansville
- Ryan Walter Johnson, Centre Hall
- Sergiy Marburger, Evans City
- Shannon Miller, Edinboro
- Isabelle Newara, North East
- Daniel Normandeau, Erie
- Amanda Jane Paul, Erie
- Rachel Nicole Pier, Waterford
- Nicole M. Pizzari, Syracuse, New York
- Kristin L. Prechtel, Erie
- Austin Ryan, Moon Township
- Mitchell Swartz, Seven Fields
- Kevin Smith, Waynesboro
- Katherine L. Sychuk, Erie
- Christopher Joseph Todino, San Diego
- Vivek Kasi Viswanathan, Rahway, New Jersey
- Zachary Williams, Round Rock, Texas
- Meghan Young, Jamison
- Luis F. Zozaya, Caracas
Assistant director, news and information, Penn State Behrend