The following strategies and resources may help you explore majors and career paths. For assistance working through this process, please make an appointment with an academic adviser or career counselor online or by calling
- What hobbies do you pursue?
- What activities do you enjoy?
- What kind of courses do you like?
- How do you spend your free time?
- What comes naturally to you?
- What do you do that makes you come alive?
- What is your academic and work history?
- In what areas have you received awards or recognition?
- What kind of lifestyle do you desire?
- What is important for you in life to be happy (prestige, helping people, financial security)?
- What does meaningful work look like to you?
Knowing your preferences in these areas can be helpful as you explore majors and careers. One way to discover your preferences is through self-assessments. Make an appointment to review one of the assessments below.
- Use this self-assessment to gain additional insight into your goals, interests, strengths, and values and how they could relate to your Penn State journey. Be sure to email it to the person you are meeting with for exploration.
- Use the FREE Penn State access code provided in the Exploratory and Pre-Major Advising office or by email at [email protected] to access the MyPlan assessment to connect your interests, values, skills, and personality.