Make the most of your internship experience
- Observe, take notes, and reflect to retain knowledge and experiences.
- Create learning objectives for yourself relevant to the internship role if not previously provided.
Make a great first impression
- Reach out to a Career Counselor or your internship supervisor regarding attire and cultural norms.
- Approach all members of the organization with a smile and proper greeting.
- Be courteous; utilize manners when speaking or assisting others.
Learn the workplace culture and contribute to the team
- Complete your work on time and with a positive attitude.
- Maintain a professional demeanor when communicating via email.
- Collaborate with your co-workers and offer assistance when available.
- Maintain professional workplace standards—no drugs, no romantic relationships.
Develop a relationship with your supervisor
- Communicate needs and resources directly to your supervisor.
- Learn from your supervisor by observing their relationship and interactions with others.
- Check in with your supervisor periodically to ensure performance expectations are satisfactory.
- Educate your supervisor on your skills and talents in order to work together and accomplish goals.
Network with colleagues and customers
- Practice informal networking with family and friends.
- Treat all colleagues and constituents in the organization with respect.
- Listen and ask relevant questions to get to know others and their interests.
- Maintain relationships with your contacts and share updates when relevant.
Turn your internship into a full-time career
- Ask your colleagues and internship supervisor about recommendations for future jobs.
- Seek permission from a colleague or supervisor before using them as a reference.
- Document the recent internship experience on your resume and LinkedIn account.
Please schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to assist with internship preparation. Call 814-898-6164 or Starfish.