THIS MONTH'S HEADLINES:
- GRADUATING SENIORS
- STUDENT AWARD WINNERS
- CZECH VISITING SCHOLAR TO JOIN POLITICAL SCIENCE PROGRAM
- NEW STUDENT GROUP LEADERS
- ERIE SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- FACEBOOK PAGE
1. GRADUATING SENIORS
If they complete all requirements, 6 Behrend Political Science majors will be graduating next month - Ian Burns, Claire Perritano, Emily Rutsky, Holton Schrantz, Julia Shields, and Connor Shields.
Claire will be pursuing a master’s degree next year in international conflict and security at the University of Kent’s Brussels School of International Studies in Belgium.
Ian will be volunteering with his mother’s local political campaign this summer and plans to seek a notary public commission and go to graduate school and possibly live in Florida.
In addition, if she completes all requirements, Maille Larmon will be graduating next month with a Politics and Government minor.
Congratulations to all of our graduating seniors, and we wish them the best with future plans!
2. STUDENT AWARD WINNERS
Earlier this month, at the Penn State Behrend Honors and Awards Convocation, three Political Science majors won awards:
- Julia Shields was named Outstanding Political Science Major.
- Matthew Strupczewski won the Zachary T. Irwin Humanitarian Award.
- Mallory Flesik won the School of Humanities and Social Sciences Writing Award.
On April 29, Mallory Flesik and Mason Milliard were inducted into the Penn State Behrend chapter of the Pi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society.
3. CZECH VISITING SCHOLAR TO JOIN POLITICAL SCIENCE PROGRAM
During the Fall 2022 semester, Jiří Nykodým, a Czech graduate student from Masaryk University, where he is pursuing a master’s degree in International Relations and European Politics, will be in residence with the Behrend Political Science program as a visiting scholar. He will be working with Dr. Lena Surzhko-Harned on research projects and assisting Behrend’s Model United Nations team. In the Czech Republic, Jiří also plays basketball and coaches a school basketball team.
4. NEW STUDENT GROUP LEADERS
The Penn State Behrend student political groups have elected new officers for the 2022-2023 academic year. They include:
Model United Nations
- President - Madison Kwiecinski
- Vice President - Spencer Finley
- Treasurer - Samantha Moniot
- Secretary - Cory Ly
Behrend Political Society
- President - Spencer Finley
- Vice President - Noah Esper
- Acting Treasurer - Noah Esper
- Secretary - Madison Kwiecinski
- President - Mallory Flesik
- Vice President - Spencer Finley
- Treasurer - Ketara Hinman
- Secretary - Briona Bargerstock
- President - Noah Esper
- Vice President - Urvag Rawal
- Treasurer - Cipriano Lemmo
- Secretary - Jessica Parker
- Public Relations - Samantha Moniot
5. ERIE SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
State Representative Bob Merski’s office
The office will be hiring a summer intern. The internship will be 10 hours per week with an hourly rate of $12/hour. For an applicant to apply, send your résumé and cover letter to [email protected] with SUMMER INTERNSHIP as the subject line. If you have questions, you can contact Kaitlyn Orlando, constituent services advisor, at [email protected].
Redevelopment Authority for City of Erie
They are seeking two summer interns. The agency is involved with improving housing conditions in Erie and will pay $13/hour for about 25 hours per week. They are seeking political science majors and students from certain other fields. For more details, go to their Facebook page.
6. FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- Dr. Molly Monahan Lang, assistant teaching professor of sociology, presented at the Midwest Sociological Society Meetings in Chicago on April 15. Her talk was titled “Beyond the Binaries: Transmen Living in a Pennsylvania Women’s Prison.” She also presented as part of the Climate Justice panel during the World-Wide Teach-In on Climate and Justice at Behrend on Wednesday, March 30.
- Dr. Robert Speel, associate professor of political science, was interviewed about Erie politics for the new issue of Pittsburgh Quarterly.
- Dr. Lena Surzhko-Harned, assistant teaching professor of political science, published an article in the journal Religions titled "Russian World and Ukrainian Autocephaly: Religious Narratives in Anti-Colonial Nationalism of Ukraine.” She also gave a keynote address for a Pi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society induction at Middle Tennessee State University and has participated at Behrend in a roundtable discussion and fundraising event related to the war in Ukraine
7. FACEBOOK PAGE
All students and alumni are invited to like the Penn State Behrend Political Science Facebook page and get updated news and find out about events.