THIS MONTH'S HEADLINES:
- FALL 2022 COURSES
- BEST WISHES TO DR. CELISE SCHNEIDER-RICKRODE
- STUDY ABROAD IN TORONTO DEADLINE FEBRUARY 1
- ENROLLMENT IN MAJORS
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- STUDENT GROUP NEWS
- FACEBOOK PAGE
1. FALL 2022 COURSES
Here is a list of Political Science, Sociology, and Global and International Studies courses that we intend to offer at Penn State Behrend in Fall 2022.
- PLSC 001 - American Politics (GS, US)
- PLSC 003 - Comparing Politics around the Globe (GS, IL)
- PLSC 007N - Contemporary Political Ideologies (GS/GH)
- PLSC 014 - International Relations (GS, IL)
- PLSC 017N - Introduction to Political Theory (GS/GH)
- PLSC 220 - Politics of the Developing World (GS, IL, Other Cultures)
- PLSC 230 - American Political Campaigns and Elections (GS, US)
- PLSC 432 - Modern and Contemporary Political Theories
- PLSC 442 - American Foreign Policy
- PLSC 472 - The American Legal Process
- SOC 001 - Introductory Sociology (GS)
- SOC 012/CRIMJ 012 - Criminology (GS)
- SOC 013/CRIMJ 013 - Juvenile Delinquency (GS)
- GLIS 102N - Global Pathways (GS/GH, IL)
Please note that all students in the International Relations option of the POLSC major should be taking PLSC 220 next semester (if they have not taken it already).
2. BEST WISHES TO DR. CELISE SCHNEIDER-RICKRODE
Dr. Celise Schneider-Rickrode has decided to move on from Penn State Behrend to spend more time with family and to embark on other adventures. She has taught political theory and introductory American politics courses to thousands of students for 21 years. She and her husband continue to live in Wesleyville, where her husband Ed is the former mayor, a current school board member, and the longtime owner of a popular local barber shop. Dr. Schneider-Rickrode came 21 years ago from her home state of Texas for a job interview in Erie right after a major snowstorm typical of Erie winters. We will greatly miss Dr. Schneider-Rickrode's genial demeanor and sympathetic listening skills around Kochel Center, and we hope that many of our alumni and alumnae have some fond memories of her classes. We wish her the best with her future endeavors.
3. STUDY ABROAD IN TORONTO DEADLINE FEBRUARY 1
Penn State has approved the resumption of study abroad programs, and North American Politics (PL SC 299/499) will again be offered in Toronto between May 15–June 11, 2022, and taught by Dr. Robert Speel. The course, which takes place on the Ryerson University campus in downtown Toronto, combines Penn State and Canadian students in one classroom for discussions about the comparative politics of the United States and Canada and on international relations between the two countries.
The deadline to apply for the course is February 1. Students will find out how much financial aid they will receive by February 16 and will need to decide whether to commit to the course by February 24.
Among the topics to be discussed in the class will be a comparison of the development of separate political cultures, comparisons of government institutions, election systems, federalism, and regionalism, and comparisons of each country's policy approaches toward the economy, health care, gun control, language, free speech, legal marijuana, abortion, medically assisted suicide, and the role of religion in education. Issues important in international relations between the two countries will also be discussed—this includes trade, border security, prevention of terrorism, pandemic responses, and control of the Arctic. Class excursions will visit the Ontario Parliament Buildings and Fort York, site of an important battle in the War of 1812.
Penn State and Behrend College provide generous financial aid to assist with the costs of summer study abroad programs. Most students have received such aid for this program in the past. Non-residents of Pennsylvania will pay in-state tuition for this course.
In addition, due to a grant from the School of Humanities and Social Sciences Endowment Fund and donations from Penn State Behrend alumna Barbara Welton, the first ten students with completed and accepted applications for the program will receive $400 grants to lower the program fee cost from $950 to $550. The program fee cost covers one month's stay in a private room at a Ryerson University residence in downtown Toronto.
4. ENROLLMENT IN MAJORS
Students who are eligible to enroll in a major (usually completion of 30 or more credits, with a GPA of 2.0 or above) are strongly encouraged to do so. If you are of 4th-semester status or later as a Penn State student, you need to enroll in a major this month to receive proper advising and other forms of assistance. If you are a 3rd-semester student, you are usually eligible to enroll in a major.
Enrollment in the POLSC major provides at least four benefits:
- The ability for academic advisors to make needed degree substitutions, including proper placement of transfer credits on degree audits
- Eligibility to be invited to certain events, such as dinners with alumni and community leaders
- Eligibility for certain awards open only to POLSC majors
- Notifications about certain jobs or internships for POLSC majors
The Penn State Behrend POLSC major currently has 4 options:
- Politics and Government (General Option) - This option allows students to choose their own concentrations of coursework within political science and helps to prepare students for a variety of careers, including government employment, social studies secondary education, activist politics, and graduate school in political science.
- Crime and Law - This option requires coursework in criminology and law and helps to prepare students for careers in law or criminal justice, including students planning on law school.
- International Relations - This option requires coursework in international politics and comparative politics and prepares students for careers with international institutions or in business in other countries, and for graduate school work in international affairs.
- Public Policy - This option requires coursework related to how to make government and policy decisions effectively and prepares students for careers with government offices, businesses, interest groups, or think tanks related to public policy, or in public administration, or for graduate degree programs in public policy or public administration.
Each option requires completion of 36 credits of PL SC courses and 6 credits of general education courses from other relevant fields.
Students are allowed to complete more than one option within the POLSC major if the requirements of each option are met.
5. FACULTY IN THE NEWS
Dr. Lena Surzhko-Harned, assistant teaching professor of political science, published an article this month titled “Russia Following Ukraine Playbook in Kazahkstan” that appeared in a number of news publications, including Asia Times. She was also interviewed last week about the Russia-Ukraine situation on Radio New Zealand.
6. STUDENT GROUP NEWS
- This semester, College Republicans will meet weekly on Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. in 102 Burke. They plan to volunteer for the campaign of Joe Cancilla, a Behrend alumnus who is running for Pennsylvania state representative from eastern Erie County. They are discussing a potential debate with College Democrats later this semester. To get involved, contact President Garrett Watson.
- College Democrats will be meeting this semester via Zoom every other week on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. They plan to meet with and volunteer for U.S. Representative Conor Lamb, who is a candidate for the U.S. Senate this year. To get involved with the group and find out the Zoom link for meetings, contact President Mallory Flesik.
- The Behrend Political Society will be meeting every other week this semester on Tuesdays at 6:00 p.m. To get involved and to find out meeting locations, contact President Madison Kwiecinski.
- Behrend Model United Nations is planning to participate in a Model NATO conference online in February. To get involved, contact faculty adviser Dr. Lena Surzhko-Harned.
7. FACEBOOK PAGE
All students and alumni are invited to like the Penn State Behrend Political Science Facebook page and get updated news and find out about events.