The Intercollege Minor in Sustainability Leadership allows students in any major to incorporate sustainability as a significant theme in their undergraduate degree program. Through a combination of coursework and immersive experiences in sustainability, students develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required to become sustainability leaders in their respective fields.
The minor is administered by a committee of faculty from across the college, and makes it possible for any student to integrate social, economic, and environmental concepts of sustainability into their coursework.
18 credits required; open to all majors.
A wide variety of courses is eligible for inclusion in the sustainability leadership minor. This allows students to select sustainability classes from both their major requirements and general education electives.
Prescribed Courses/Foundation Requirement (3 credits)
- SUST 200: Foundations of Leadership in Sustainability
Additional Courses (12 credits)**
- Leadership Requirement (3 credits)
See bulletin list for pre-approved courses; others allowed with approval.
- Track Specific Electives/Sustainability focused courses (6 credits)
Select (6) credits worth of general education electives that are sustainability-focused.
- Immersive Sustainability Experience (3 credits)
SUST 295, or SUST 495, or approved substitution.
**At least 3 credits from the above list must be a leadership-focused course
**At lease 3 credits from the above list must be at the 400-level
**At least 3 credits from the above courses must be from outside the student's major department
Supporting Courses/Capstone Project in Sustainability Leadership (3 credits)
- SUST 496, or approved substitution.
Needed for Completion of the Sustainability Leadership Minor
- A student may apply toward the minor no more than 6 credits from their major requirements.
- The Sustainability Leadership Capstone credits may not be used simultaneously to fulfill capstone or thesis requirements for any other degree program.
- All minor programs must include at least 6 credits at the 400-level.
- A grade C or higher is required for all courses in the minor.
The student and Sustainability Leadership Coordinator will use the Course Checklist for the Sustainability Leadership Minor to keep track of the coursework taken for the minor.