College Committees – Athletics – End of Year Report
Chair of Committee: Carol Putman (BUS)
Committee Members: Ian Michalski (HSS), Ashley Sullivan (HSS), Mike Naber (SCI), Adam Simpson (SCI), Steven Nozaki (ENG), Adam Hollinger (ENG), Phil Stuczynski Ex officio: Brian Streeter (AD), Chuck Brown (Athletics rep to NCAA) SAAC President: JP Goodsel
Charges for 2021-22 School Year:
- Consult and report on action taken or to be taken with respect to athletic standards related to the educational function of the college and University. (Standing – UPDATE: Following tradition, the overall athlete GPA results from spring ’21 are very good with an average of 3.31 for 302 athletes. When asked, team members are aware of their team GPA, so they understand the importance of academic success.)
- Approve athletic schedules and eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. (UPDATE: Brian indicated that some fall competitions were canceled based on Covid. One challenge was getting bus drivers for team travel. Only a small number of fall/winter athletes were not vaccinated, so compliance has not been a problem. No issues for spring.)
- Provide opportunities for faculty to increase interaction with and support student-athletes. (COMPLETE and ongoing)
- AMCC Conference 25th anniversary celebrations announced fall and spring to faculty via email to attend specific sport events.
- New suggestions include
- Asking school directors to provide incentive for faculty to attend events (retention).
- Opportunities for faculty to volunteer to help at events.
- Faculty simply knowing the student-athletes helps!
Detailed meeting minutes are included as separate documents. (*Email Lisa Nelson to request.)
Below are the highlights:
- Oct. 19, 2021 – Topics of discussion included an update on the Erie Hall reconstruction project, review of charges for the academic year, update from the SAAC representative, and review of a report from last spring regarding student-athlete well-being during Covid.
- Feb. 24, 2022 – Topics of discussion included another update on the Erie Hall reconstruction project, report from Chuck Brown on NCAA updated constitution (no impact on DIII expected), more discussion of opportunities related to charge #3.
Suggested Charge(s) For Next Year:
Facilitate opportunity for athletes to take exams outside of class time for single-section courses if during training or competition. This would help retention and needs cooperation by all four schools.