College Committees – Curricular Affairs – End of Year Report
Final Report of the Behrend Curricular Affairs Committee for Academic Year 2019-2020
Members: Qi Dong, Angela Davis, Lisa Elliott (Chair), Alan Jircitano, Ibrahim Naseem, Adam Simpson, Justyna Skomra, Gary Smith
Purpose: The Curricular Affairs Committee reviews and evaluates all course and curriculum proposals submitted by the Schools of the College. It studies and reviews all existing courses and curricula of the College and maintains liaison with the College administration and faculty as necessary for the implementation of the procedures outlined in the Guide to Behrend College Curricular Procedures. The Curricular Affairs Committee maintains and makes available the Guide to Behrend College Curricular Procedures which provides instructions for submitting course and curriculum proposals. The policies and procedures in the Guide to Behrend College Curricular Procedures are subject to the approval of Faculty Council and are to be consistent with the University Faculty Senate's Guide to Curricular Procedures.
- 09/19/19 – Organizational meeting with request to review and upload the curricular proposal process for each school.
- 11/8/19 – Reviewed the curricular proposal processes for each school and recommended an online course proposal form be adopted (Charges 1 and 3).
- 1/31/20 – Asynchronous meeting to discuss Faculty Chair’s teaching links as requested by Faculty Chair. At the Faculty Council meeting of 2/3/20, it was requested that other details need to be worked out.
- 4/27/20 – Virtual meeting to discuss CRCS and organizational meeting for next semester.
Review of Progress:
- (Standing Charge) The committee continues to make specific recommendations to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs regarding proposals for the creation, revision, and discontinuance of programs and courses at Behrend. Complete.
- We recommended that each school adopt the online form that the School of Science uses. In addition, we recommended that the form includes a link to the process for each school. We recommended that there is a reset button on the form in case the person needs to submit more than one proposal. We recommended that this link be published on the Behrend Faculty resources page or to the intranet.
- Bill Gonda incorporated the link on this page under Academic Resources.
Complete the approval of the Recommended Guidelines for Condensed Courses.
- These guidelines were discussed and approved by the Faculty Senate in 2018.
- Completed by the previous committee.
- Create a uniform approach to submitting curricular proposals in all four schools.
- All four schools processes uploaded to Box, no further action has been taken as requested during the Faculty Senate meeting 2/10/20.
Lisa Jo Elliott, College Curricular Affairs Committee, Chair