Here are a few answers to frequently asked questions.
What is my mail file number?
You can access your mail file number by contacting Mail Services. You will need your Penn State id+ card.
Refer to the Mailbox Combination Instructions for information on how to open your physical mailbox, if you have one. If you need further help with your combination, see the attendants at the Mail Services window during regular service hours.
What is the mail room phone number?
Our phone number is 814-898-6494, or reach us by email.
Where do I buy stamps and envelopes?
You can purchase envelopes and stamps at the RUB desk. We can also put postage on your postal mail for you.
What forms of payment does t heMailroom accept?
We only accept LionCash with a minimum $1.00 purchase.
What is my mailing address?
Mail can be addressed with this format:
Student's First and Last Name
Mail File Number
Penn State Behrend
4701 College Drive
Erie, PA 16563
What shipping services are accepted at Penn State?
We accept services of the United States Post Office, UPS, FedEx, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, and DHL.
UPS, FedEx, DHL, and the U.S. Post Office do not deliver or pick up mail from your rooms. You must come to the mailroom with your items.
All DHL or FedEx drop off shipments must have a pick-up number on the box if we are shipping it for you.
When preparing a package for shipment, you can use your own box (which may be a cheaper option) or you can purchase a flat-rate box.
If you need to send a package overnight or use a two-day service, we can help you with that.
What about international mail?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind. If you have any questions about international mail, please contact Mail Services.
- All international mail, packages and letters, must be paid for through the USPS (United States Post Office), UPS, Fed-Ex, or DHL.
- Labels must be printed and affixed on packages and letters by the sender. The mailroom can drop these off for you at the post office—if the label is printed and affixed to the package(s)/letter(s).
- All mail must include a return address. This is very important. If items are returned to the mailroom, we need to know who to return the mail to.
- All outgoing, international packages must have an appropriately completed customs label attached.
Where does my mail go if I cannot pick it up?
- If packages are not picked up within ten days, they will be marked “Return to Sender."
- During school breaks, all mail/packages will be held in mail facilities.
- At the end of the academic year, all mail and packages will be marked "Return to Sender" unless prior arrangements have been made with the mailroom.
How do I know if I have mail?
Penn States uses an electronic tracking system that sends a notification when mail and/or package(s) have arrived for you. The notification is sent to your Penn State email account; it is the only form of communication we have with you. As a result, it is important that you check your Penn State email on a regular basis so that you are aware of when mail or a package has arrived. Please disregard your vendor notice that states your item is ready for pick up; it won't be ready until you receive your Penn State email notification.