The Center for Family Business, based in the Black School of Business at Penn State Behrend, supports the needs of family-owned businesses in northwestern Pennsylvania, which make up about 90 percent of all small businesses in the region.
Information and expertise in succession planning, estate planning, social media, management information, and other aspects critical to the success of family-owned businesses are advanced by the center.
More about the Center for Family Business
We recognize as a family business owner, you have strengths you bring to the table and your own unique challenges. Do any of these resonate?
- Family dynamic issues
- Informal business structure
- Pressure to hire, and retain, family members
- Lack of training
- High turnover of non-family members
- Inability to secure financing
- Succession planning
- Lack of exit strategy
The Center for Family Business was created to bring together family businesses, such as yours, to address these challenges. Backed by the power of Penn State and led by a board of seasoned family-business owners and business faculty, the Center for Family Business invites you to join us as we work to address these problems and strengthen the vital role companies like yours play in our communities. The center is member-driven; as a member, you help to shape the topics that are covered based on your own needs.
Members benefit from:
- Programming tailored specifically to family-owned companies, including monthly forums focused on the real problems you face.
- Opportunities to network in shared-interest groups.
- Involvement in peer groups facilitated by family business members.
- Access to Behrend faculty expertise and student talking.
- Counsel on key family business issues such as succession planning.
- Access to the resources of center-affiliated service providers.
- Educational training for family business members on best practices.
Annual membership cost is $500. For more information, please email us at [email protected].
Interested in Supporting the Center?
Do you have a vested interest in supporting family-owned businesses in our area? We welcome donations in any amount from individuals and businesses who are interested in furthering the mission of the Center for Family Business.