Penn State Behrend, with support from the Clarence A. and Eugenie Baumann Smith Fund, has created a scholarship program for selected students who plan to enter the B.F.A. program, either as first-year students or transfer students. Each scholarship is $500 for the first academic year. This scholarship is not renewable for subsequent years, but other scholarship opportunities are available for students who have already completed coursework in the program.
To apply for a Smith Scholarship in Fiction, you must:
- Indicate an intention to major in Creative Writing on your Penn State application
- Gain admission to Penn State Behrend
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by December 1, prior to the start of your first academic year. You must have your FAFSA sent to Penn State. The school code for all Penn State locations is 003329.
- Send an email to [email protected] with SMITH SCHOLARSHIP IN FICTION FOR NEW STUDENTS APPLICATION in the subject line. The deadline for submission is by March 1, prior to the start of your first academic year.
- In the body of your email, include the following personal information: full legal name, full mailing address, date of birth, and Penn State ID number.
- As an attachment to your email, submit 5–15 double-spaced pages of original fiction. The work can be a self-contained story or a section of a larger work, such as a novel.
Questions regarding this application can be directed to Dr. Tom Noyes at 814-898-6209 or [email protected].