The School of Humanities and Social Sciences plays an essential role in every student’s experience at Penn State Behrend. Through the diverse areas of study the school offers, students develop valuable communication skills, explore culture and history, and learn to critically examine their society and the world. Students have opportunities to study abroad; research human behavior in laboratory settings; and work on the production of films, television and radio shows, a literary journal, and a campus newspaper. Our highly accomplished faculty includes scholars with international reputations for research, award-winning writers, and skilled teachers with years of practical professional experience.
General Facts & Hallmarks
- Ten bachelor's degrees, one master's degrees, one associate degree, fifteen minors, and ten certificate programs
- Average junior/senior-level class size: 20
- One of the few Creative Writing programs in the country to offer the B.F.A. degree with intensive study in poetry and prose writing.
- State-of-the-art Communication and Psychology Labs provide superior hands-on learning experiences.
- Faculty who are regular recipients of University-wide and college awards
- View Faculty Awards
- Members of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences have approved a Statement on Institutionalized Racism.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Penn State Behrend is to integrate teaching, research, and service in a way that will ensure innovative academic programs, encourage nationally recognized faculty scholarship, and promote professional service and community outreach.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences will continue to:
- develop excellent academic programs that attract national and international attention and produce the highest quality graduates.
- advance its scholarly mission by encouraging nationally recognized faculty scholarship and promoting undergraduate research opportunities.
- contribute service to the academic profession and offer faculty expertise to aid the region's economic, social, and intellectual development.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences shares Penn State Behrend's vision of becoming nationally recognized as a “high quality, four-year and graduate college within a major university” and regionally recognized as “the education and outreach partner of choice.” Our school's mission is to support this vision through innovative and outstanding teaching, research, and scholarship, as well as exceptional professional service and outreach.