Frequently Asked Questions
Where should I park on campus?
Parking for commuters is available in several campus lots, including the Junker Lot, Jordan Lot, Erie Lot, Benson Lot, Prischak Lot, and the Parking Deck at Burke. See a map of parking options. Parking permits are required and can be purchased online.
What public transportation options do I have?
Don’t have access to a vehicle? Ride the “e” for free! All routes on the Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority bus service—known as the “e”—are free to all students who show an “e” ID sticker, available at the RUB desk. Or, hop on a shuttle that loops around campus weekdays from 7:40 a.m. to 7 p.m. Find more on bus routes.
Are safety escorts available?
To ensure your safety and peace of mind, free campus escorts are available to walk you to any location on campus from dusk to dawn. Call 814-898-6101.
Where to Eat
Where can I eat on campus?
Housing and Food Services operates several dining locations on campus. As a commuter student, you may purchase a meal plan or use LionCash+ to pay for on-campus meals. You have several dining options:
- Bruno’s Café (Reed) offers quick dining options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a late-night snack.
- Clark Café (Burke) offers continental breakfast fare and light lunch options.
- Dobbins Dining Hall is the main campus eatery, offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner in an all-you-can-eat food court.
- Paws Coffee Shop (Reed) offers Starbucks coffee, Penn State Bakery pastries, and Penn State Berkey Creamery ice cream.
Is a meal plan available to commuter students?
Commuter students may purchase a meal plan or they may use LionCash+. For information on meal plans, visit the Housing and Food Services website.
Where to Go
Where can I hang out between classes?
Looking for a place to relax, study, or grab a snack between classes? The Commuter Lounge is your spot. The lounge, located in the Living Room at Smith Chapel, has couches, tables, a television, charging stations, a kitchen, and coffee available just for commuters. The lounge also hosts special programs for commuters throughout the year. The lounge is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Are computer labs available?
Get access to software and network resources at one of the campus computer labs—some of which are open 24/7 during the fall and spring semesters. View a list of labs and hours.
Where can I find student services?
Whether you want to buy tickets to an on-campus event or need directions, the RUB Desk on the first floor is the place to go. You’ll find more amenities like the mailroom, bookstore, and The Galley convenience store in Reed.
Are lockers available on campus?
Lockers are available in Reed Union Building. These may be rented for $10 per semester at the Reed Union Building (RUB) Desk. Students must provide their own lock.
Where can I study?
With private study rooms, the library is a great place to go for some quiet time. The library also offers copiers and equipment rentals, in addition to the trove of print and electronic resources.
Various seating areas in all the academic buildings are also convenient spots for quick study sessions between classes.
Resources for Students
- Campus Jobs—Options for on-campus jobs vary depending on your work-study award status. Student jobs are listed on the Penn State jobs website.
- Commuter Coordinator—supports commuter students with focused attention on your needs, a peer mentorship program, and special events. Smith Chapel, 814-898-6218.
- Educational Equity and Diversity—advocates for diverse populations at Behrend through mentoring, programs, and other services. 1 Reed Union Building, 814-898-7101.
- Health and Wellness Center—provides a range of health services, including exams, immunizations, and medical supplies. Carriage House or 110 Burke, 898-6217.
- Learning Resource Center—offers services including tutoring, exam prep, and weekly study sessions. 203 Lilley Library, 814-898-6140.
- Personal Counseling—offers individual counseling, psychiatric services, support groups, and more. 1 Reed Union Building, 814-898-6504.
- Parking Services—issues parking permits. 24 Reed Union Building, 814-898-PARK (7275).
- University Police and Public Safety—oversees the protection of Behrend community and enforces University regulations. Logan Carriage House, 4213 Station Road, 814-898-6101 (for emergencies, call 911).