Social Security Application
Start your application online, then go to the local Social Security office to provide your documentation. You will need to bring the following items in person to the Social Security Office:
- Letter from the office that is hiring you. This should be on official letterhead and should include:
- Your name, a brief job description, and anticipated or actual employment start date;
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) - the Penn State EIN is 24-6000376;
- Employer contact information, including the telephone number and the name of the student’s immediate supervisor;
- Original signature, signatory’s title, and date.
- Letter from ISSA verifying student status, full-time enrollment, and eligibility for employment. To request a letter, fill out the request for the Social Security letter in iStart.
- Select Letter Requests, then Social Security, and complete the form.
- Note: You must have two phone numbers (mobile and home) and local and home addresses in LionPath, be registered for classes, have no holds on your account, and be in active status in SEVIS to obtain your letter.
- Most Recent I-94 (print the I-94 form)
- Penn State Student ID
Social Security Office
- Location: 717 State Street, Suite 500, Erie, PA 16501
- Contact Info: 1-877-405-2887 | www.ssa.gov
- Hours: Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.; CLOSED Saturday and Sunday.
- Public Transportation: EMTA Bus 26
Once your application is approved, you’ll receive a Social Security card with your number on it by mail within 14 days.