Use these links to jump to a specific answer below.
- What happens during Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- Why should we attend Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- When does check-in begin? Is it required?
- How do we register?
- What if we need to decide at the last minute—can we register in person?
- Are families with divorced parents considered one family or two families?
- Can I arrive earlier than check in?
- What do I do if I lost my group?
- What day should we arrive? When do events begin and end?
- Can we bring other family members?
- Any lodging recommendations?
- Where can we eat during Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- Will students have classes on Friday of Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- Where should we park?
- What about the weather?
- How can we get around campus during the weekend?
- We still have questions. Who can we contact?
What happens during Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- With more than forty events, there is truly something for everyone. We will begin posting events in August and will continue to add events throughout the fall.
- Here's a sneak peek at a few events:
- Join us for the Chancellor's Ice Cream Social, Midnight Bingo (only earlier), and Fireworks Display to celebrate Behrend's 75th Anniversary on Saturday.
- There will be a professional photographer available at the Lion Plaza on Saturday.
- These events are complimentary and do not require a ticket purchase or reservation.
- Special tours will include Glenhill Farmhouse (free to attend, no tickets required), the new Erie Hall, a Wintergreen Gorge hike, a family-friendly carnival, academic school alumni receptions, and more. You will see Behrend students' incredible talent and skills at almost every event hosted during the weekend.
Why should we attend Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- There is a lot to celebrate at Penn State Behrend: a beautiful campus; talented faculty who foster academic excellence; a wide variety of extracurricular activities; the opportunity to develop close, lasting friendships; and so much more. This year, you will also have the chance to tour the new Erie Hall and try your hand at pickleball!
- Students are typically ready for a visit from home by this time in the semester. They may be tired and overwhelmed and in need of a little TLC (and maybe cookies). They are also somewhat settled into their new "home" at Penn State Behrend and may be excited to share what they have discovered with you!
- It's also a chance to experience something new at Behrend. Many of the events offered during Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend are not frequently open to families and guests, including tours of Glenhill Farmhouse and Erie Hall.
When does check-in begin? Is it required?
- Check-in for the 2023 Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend will begin on Friday, September 29, at 3:30 p.m. ET.
- Registration is not required. But we encourage every family planning to participate to register.
How do we register?
- Visit the registration website.
What if we need to decide at the last minute—can we register in person?
- Yes, but we prefer that you register online prior to the September 21 deadline. This helps us to better plan for every family and email communications with important information regarding Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend. Pre-registered guests will also receive information about events that require an additional registration or ticket purchase. Many of these events sell out very quickly.
- There may be a limited number of registration packets available for onsite registrants. These will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Registering by the September 21 deadline ensures a registration packet for your family.
- To register onsite, please come to the Information Desk at Metzgar Center.
Are families with divorced parents considered one family or two families?
- Divorced parents/families have the option to submit together under one registration form or submit their registration forms separately. Students only need to be included on one registration form if registering separately.
Can I arrive earlier than check in?
- Parking is complimentary and no pass is required Friday, September 29, through Sunday, October 1. However, if you are arriving earlier than Friday, you will need to stop at the Parking Office, located on the ground floor of Reed Union Building for a free visitor parking pass, during business hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
- Check-in begins at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, September 29, through Saturday, September 30, at 5:00 p.m. To receive a name badge with a printed schedule of events, please stop by Metzgar Center.
What do I do if I lost my group?
- Metzgar Center is home base on Friday and Saturday.
What day should we arrive? When do events begin and end?
- Events typically begin late afternoon on Friday and end after brunch on Sunday. Many families choose to come for the entire weekend, while others may drive in for a day (in that case, we would recommend Saturday). Some events only happen once, while other are held multiple times throughout the weekend.
- The complete schedule can be found here:
Can we bring other family members?
- Yes, everyone is welcome. Family-friendly events will be hosted throughout the weekend. Keep in mind that Behrend is a large campus built on a hill and you will be doing a lot of walking. There is ADA-compliant parking in all parking locations. In most situations, you will not be able to park next to a building that is hosting the event and walking will be required. Comfortable shoes are a must.
Any lodging recommendations?
- There is no shortage of places to stay near the Penn State Behrend campus, which is located off Interstate 90 at Exit 32. Some area hotels offer a Penn State rate. Ask when making your reservation.
Where can we eat during Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- We recommend planning at least one meal with your student at Dobbins Dining Hall. Penn State typically offers family meal deals at all-you-care-to-eat buffets in many of our locations throughout the weekend.
- Harborcreek and Downtown Erie offer a wide variety of wonderful restaurants. Ask our students and staff at the check-in desk for recommendations.
- You won't want to leave without getting Penn State's famous Berkey Creamery ice cream from the Paws counter at Bruno's Café in Reed Union Building.
Will students have classes on Friday of Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend?
- Yes, the University does not cancel classes for Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend. However, you are welcome to enjoy the campus and any scheduled activities while they are in class.
- Students may have exams and due dates the week following Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend. Encourage your student to plan ahead so they can enjoy your visit.
Where should we park?
- No parking pass is required Friday-Sunday.
- View the campus map.
What about the weather?
- The weather is typically beautiful with cooler days and lots of sunshine. Temps average in the 60s. We don't usually see snow until November, but bring an umbrella.
- Here's a link to the Campus Weather to check out the current weather conditions.
How can we get around campus during the weekend?
- Behrend is a large campus built on a hill and you will be doing a lot of walking. There is ADA-compliant parking in all parking locations. In most situations, you will not be able to park next to a building that is hosting the event and walking will be required. Comfortable shoes are a must.
We still have questions. Who can we contact?
- Prior to the event, please contact [email protected]. During the weekend, this email will be only occasionally monitored.