Behrend's Information Technology Services (BITS) hires a number of wage payroll and work-study students to help support computer users. There are two types of positions: student consultant and student technician. Those students who are hired by Information Technology Services generally begin employment as a consultant. Student consultants who show exceptional technical and customer service skills may be considered for the student technician positions as they become available.
The main job duties of a student consultant are to:
- Help users with general questions about software or hardware in the labs
- Give seminars on how to use a particular software package
- Provide phone support to users
- Assist with the Residence Hall RoomGear set up
- Set up Wi-Fi on a personal device
- Set up Duo two-factor authentication
- Support for Office 365 and Outlook app
The main job duties of a student technician are to:
- install hardware and software
- troubleshoot hardware, software, and network issues
In addition, technicians must possess a valid driver’s license, and those under 21 must have a clean driving record and successfully complete the University’s online Driver Safety Training Course prior to being awarded the position.
Please keep in mind that the availability of positions varies from semester to semester. Also, due to the length of the training process, students of 4th semester standing or less are preferred.
Applicants are invited to apply for these positions. To do so, go to Job Opportunities, select your status, and then select Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, as the campus location.
If you have any questions or need further information, email BITS.