Studying Spanish at Penn State Behrend
Courses meeting the 12-credit language requirement
- Spanish 1 (4 credits) taught every semester
- Spanish 2 (4 credits) taught every semester
- Spanish 3 (4 credits) taught every semester
- Blanco, José A., Philip Redwine Donley. Vistas: Introducción a la lengua española. (Textbook). 6th edition. Vista Higher Learning, 2019. You may use the hardcover or loose-leaf version of the textbook.
*Note: Future SPAN 1 courses may require the latest edition of Vistas.
- Blanco, José A., Philip Redwine Donley. Vistas: Introducción a la lengua española. (Workbook/ Video Manual). 6th edition. Vista Higher Learning, 2019. This paperback text accompanies the textbook, primarily used for homework assignments. Previously filled-out workbooks are not acceptable.
- Vistas Supersite: Available via the Vista Higher Learning Supersite with purchase of Supersite code.
- Spanish 1: Vistas, Chapters 1–5
- Spanish 2: Vistas, Chapters 6–10
- Spanish 3: Vistas, Chapters 11–15 plus Future, Conditional, Imperfect Subjunctive, and “If” Clauses
All Spanish language courses are rooted in a communicative language approach that emphasizes conversationally-based interaction and real-world application(s) via various assessments, including oral exams and written activities. In addition to learning language structures, students will be introduced to the rich cultural diversity of the Spanish-speaking world.
The 18-credit Spanish minor allows students to enhance their skills in Spanish beyond the language sequence. In addition to introducing students to more advanced conversation and composition skills, students in the minor will explore areas such as literature, translation, and linguistics, which are highly applicable to future career paths, including international business, government, medicine, law, and cultural studies. Visit the Spanish minor information page for more details.
Penn State offers embedded, short-term, and longer-term study abroad programs to Spanish-speaking countries. For more information on the types of study abroad programs, application deadlines, and financial aid for studying abroad, visit the Study Abroad page.
¡Buena suerte y nos vemos pronto!