Our Mission Statement
The Institute on the American Dream will define, analyze, and compare concepts of individual, ethnic, and national American dreams, seek their origins, and evaluate who wins and who loses under the various definitions. The Institute will organize academic and community programs and seek educationally collaborative ways for the college and others to interact with the Erie area to understand and foster appropriate visions for the future.
To meet the aforementioned goals an Advisory Group for the Institute has been formed.
The Advisory Group will monitor progress, give advice on conferences, publications, and discuss various concepts of the Dream. The Director will submit a yearly report and prepare an agenda for an annual meeting. There will be optional bi-monthly lunch meetings as well. Members serve for 3 to 5 years and others may be co-opted. The Penn State faculty may serve through their time of appointment and students through their residency.
Advisory Group Members—Penn State Behrend
- Charles Brock, Director, Institute on the American Dream, and Emeritus Fellow, Oxford University
- Syed Saad Andaleeb, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Marketing, Black School of Business
- Dean Baldwin, Former Assistant Director, Humanities and Social Sciences (retired)
- Jack Burke, Former CEO & Dean, Penn State Behrend (retired)
- Margie Taylor, Former Director of Development, Penn State Behrend (retired)
Penn State Behrend Non-Committee Helpers
- Dan Barnard
- John Rossi, Associate Professor of History (retired)
- Wendy Kallgren
Advisory Group Members—Erie Area
- Joe Benacci, CEO, Transportation Systems
- Marnie Evanoff-McGeorge, School Teacher
- Thomas Hagen, Manufacturer & Former Commerce Secretary of PA
- Walter Harf, Retired Businessman
- Gary Horton, Urban Erie Community Development Corp.
- Nicole Martin, Artist
- Joyce Savocchio, Former Mayor of Erie
- John Vanco, Former Director, Erie Art Museum
- Sister Anne Wambach, Former Prioress, Benedictine Sisters of Erie; Former Director, Erie Art House