Alumnus Signs with Colorado Rockies Single-A Team

Former Penn State Behrend pitcher Chad Zurat has signed with Major League Baseball’s Colorado Rockies organization. He is playing for the Tri-City Dust Devils, a Single-A team based in Pasco, Washington.

“Every baseball player wants a chance to play professionally,” head coach Paul Benim said. “Chad earned it. We are all really excited for him.”

Zurat, a Clearfield native, is a 2014 graduate of Penn State Behrend. He earned a degree in accounting.

Zurat turned in his best season during his senior campaign, going 8-2 on the hill and striking out 62 batters in 63.2 innings. He compiled a 2.54 earned-run average and was recognized as the team’s Most Valuable Pitcher. He finished his career with the program’s lowest ERA (2.40) in 150 innings tossed and is second in all-time saves with 17.

“His career here at Behrend was special,” Benim said. “He has a gift and earned a professional contract. This is a terrific opportunity for Chad.”

The Dust-Devils compete in the North Division of the Single-A Northwest League. The team finished the first half of the season with a 14-24 record.

“I have the opportunity to carry out a dream by signing with the Colorado Rockies,” Zurat said. “Through my four years at Behrend, I really learned how to become an effective pitcher, and had different teammates and coaches teaching me new pitches, and how to better my mechanics to be more consistent. All of what I learned at Behrend is going to be help with being an effective pitcher at the next level.”