New to Penn State Behrend and the United States? Penn State has over 11,500 students, faculty and staff, and thousands of alumni from over 140 countries. Use the links below to find helpful resources and answers to common questions. Watch a short video about how much Penn State values having international students and scholars from all over the world. Welcome to Penn State!
Parent & Family Checklist
Connect with Penn State
- Connect with Penn State Behrend through our Social Media Hub.
- Learn about International Student Orientation.
- Visit our website on Services for International Students.
- Visit our New International Students page for answers to frequently asked questions.
- Visit the Department Directory to connect to additional campus resources.
- All incoming students must submit immunization records prior to their arrival on campus. Visit the International Student Services Immunization and Requirements page for more information.
- Health insurance is mandatory for all international students in F-1 and J-1 status and their accompanying dependents.
- Remind your student to copy and bring insurance and prescription cards with them.
- Remind your student to bring information about their current and maintenance prescription medications.
Tuition & Money Matters
- Remind your student to check their email account frequently.
- Ask your student if they received the email with the tuition bill.
- Remind your student to consent to do business electronically and to sign the Financial Responsibility Agreement (FRA) in LionPATH prior to enrolling for classes.
- Discuss getting online access with your student, as they must delegate access in order for parents to view student information.
- If you are paying tuition, ask your student to add you as an "authorized payer" on their account.
- Plan for future semesters.
- Add funds to student's LionCash+ account.
Topics to Discuss with Your Student
- Remind your student to complete online modules.
- Encourage your student to participate in Welcome Week activities.
- Discuss campus safety and decisions regarding alcohol and drug use.
- Discuss time management, study skills, and mutual expectations for staying in touch.
- Talk about how your student will finance their education.
- Explore programs and services available to assist your student.
- Provide a reminder of life skills (including doing laundry, managing a bank account, eating well, accessing healthcare).
- Remind your student to add their cell phone number to the PSUAlert System to receive text and/or voice alerts.
Save the Date: Parents, Families & Alumni Weekend
- Department Directory
- New International Students Frequently Asked Questions
- Housing and Residence Life
- Paying Tuition
- Penn State ID+ Card
- Transportation and Lodging