Available Benefits for Veterans

Available Benefits for Veterans

Fry Scholarship
The “Fry Scholarship” expands the New GI Bill® education benefits to cover the full cost of a college education for all of the children and spouses of service members who have died on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. All children and spouses of members of the Armed Forces who have died in the line of duty while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for 36 months of tuition and fees up to the maximum in-state tuition, as well as a monthly living stipend and book allowance. For more information, visit the VA website or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Chapter 30: New GI Bill®
This program is for any veteran who enlisted on or after July 1, 1985, through the present, and who participated in the new educational program.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
This program is for any veteran with a 10 percent disability rating while on active duty.

Chapter 32: Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
This program is for any veteran who enlisted after December 31, 1976, and who contributed to the Veterans Educational Assistance program.

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®
The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after thirty days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Tuition Assistance Program
This program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs. For more information, visit the Tuition Assistance website.

Yellow Ribbon
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
Available to any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual’s entitlement to:

  • The individual’s spouse.
  • One or more of the individual’s children.
  • Any combination of spouse and child.

Chapter 34: Old GI Bill®
This program was for anyone who enlisted prior to January 1977 and had not used his or her benefits. On January 1, 1990, all unused benefits were lost.

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program Benefits
This program is for dependents who are applying for survivors' and dependents' benefits for the first time. In order to qualify, their parents or spouse must have received a 100 percent disability rating due to a service-connected injury, or their parents or spouse must have died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Chapter 1606: Reserve GI Bill®
This program is for Reservists who signed at least a six-year contract on or after July 1, 1985, and who have served at least 180 days of active service.

Military Credits
If you are designated as a degree-seeking student, you may be eligible to receive physical education credits or health credits for your time in the military. It is necessary to have served for more than one year on active duty and to have obtained an honorable discharge.

Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation
College scholarship opportunities for children of fallen patriots.

The Folds of Honor Foundation
Scholarships and other educational opportunities to children and spouses of those killed or disabled while in service.

Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund
For dependent son or daughter who meet eligibility criteria.

National Resource Directory
Military specific scholarships and grants. (Once on the website, click on "education and training," then "scholarships and other financial assistance.")


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.