FE Exam Preparation
The Fundamentals of Engineering exam is the first step towards the goal of the P.E. after your name later in life. P.E. is Professional Engineer - licensed by the state in which you practice. After passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, administered by the NCEES, you will earn the Engineer in Training (EIT) certification.
FE Exam, Review Series
Dates TBA; sponsored by the School of Engineering at Penn State Behrend
The FE review is (approximately) an eight-part series focused on preparing juniors and seniors for their first step toward a professional engineer’s license. A different topic will be covered each week by a professor experienced in that area. Each review class will last about two hours (unless otherwise noted) on the dates indicated.
- Work on some of the appropriate problems in your FE review manual before each subject is covered and bring any questions you have to the review class.
- Try to attend as many lectures as possible; it will enhance your chances of passing the exam.
- One of the MOST IMPORTANT preparations you will make is to become familiar with the contents of the Reference Handbook BEFORE you arrive at the exam. (You may download a copy of this book (free) from NCEES; see below).
- The NCEES FE Reference Handbook is the only reference material that can be used during the exam. You will be provided with an electronic reference handbook during the exam. For access prior to your exam, you may either purchase a hard copy or download a free electronic copy. (Register or log in to MyNCEES to download your free copy of the FE Reference Handbook.)
- NCEES offers computer-based practice exams. These practice exams contain questions that have been used on past exams and questions written just for study materials to give you extra practice. Learn more about NCEES exam prep materials.
NCEES: Familiarize yourself with the Exam Day Policies prior to taking the exam.
The NCEES Examinee Guide is the official guide to policies and procedures for all NCEES exams.
Procedure for Behrend Students to Register for the FE Exam
Please follow all of the instructions provided to you through NCEES. The step-by-step list below should be used as a “guide." NCEES establishes the processes each registrant must follow.
- Go to the NCEES website.
- Click on “Exams”
- On the right, select Pennsylvania as the state you’re taking the exam in
- Click on Register/Log In
- Create a “My NCEES Account
- Write down the username and password you use to create your account
- Write down the unique account number assigned to you
- You will use a VISA or MasterCard to pay for the registration. Penn State will reimburse current students for half of the cost. You will receive an email giving you your order number. SAVE THAT EMAIL.
- You will need to wait approx. 7-10 working days until you will be notified that you are eligible to schedule a test date.
- Once that date has been confirmed, bring a copy of that email PLUS a copy of the email you receive confirming your registration payment to Jennifer Zdaniewski in the School of Engineering. She will need your PSU ID number and mailing address to process your refund.
After you have been approved to take the FE Exam:
- Plan what calculator you may take to the exam.