Penn State Behrend Student Leadership Conference
Each February, Penn State Behrend students and staff offer insight into what direction to take on your leadership journey. Various sessions with students and staff provide guidance and direction for your college career and future.
Previous workshops have included What it Means to Lead in the Workplace Now, Self-Authorship Through Life’s Challenges, Finding Your Space in the
Marvel Leadership Universe, and Leadership Lessons from Chancellor Ford. Our keynote address and workshop for 2022 featured Tom Krieglstein and his Dancefloor Theory method of leadership and involvement, winner of an unprecedented seven National Speaking Titles from APCA. Registration for the 2023 Conference is expected to launch in late fall 2022!
Questions regarding any Leadership programming should be directed to Clark Tieman, assistant director of Student Leadership and Involvement at [email protected].
Leadership Scholarship Application: 2022–2023 Academic Year
Scholarships of $1,000–$2,000 are offered on an annual basis to students who demonstrate leadership and engagement outside of the classroom. In addition to this financial scholarship, opportunities are provided to awarded students as part of our Behrend Leadership Scholar program. Opportunities occur monthly and cover topics and events including social events, service projects, leadership speakers, alumni resources, and advanced workshops.
- Transfer, change-of-campus, and returning students: Applications are now open for transfer, change-of-campus, and returning Behrend students. Interested students should apply here no later than Monday, May 9, 2022, by 8 a.m.
- First-year students: Applications for the 2022–2023 academic year have closed for first-year students. Applications for newly-admitted students beginning in the 2023–2024 academic year will open in October 2022.
Any additional materials or questions can be directed to Clark Tieman, assistant director, Student Leadership and Involvement, at [email protected] or 814-898-6171.
Penn State Summer Leadership Conference
The Penn State Summer Leadership Conference provides a challenging and motivating experience for participants where they will learn to be empowered, confident leaders, both personally and professionally, and will be inspired to lead purposeful lives while upholding the Penn State values of integrity, respect, responsibility, discovery, excellence, and community!
Students who participate in the Penn State SLC will be able to:
- Enhance essential skills and competencies and identify areas for further exploration and development in the pursuit of leadership excellence; specifically, ethical decision-making, creative education and innovation, group dynamics, and conflict management
- Explain the importance of embracing a diverse and inclusive community as it relates to multicultural competency
- Define their leadership values and philosophies through self-awareness exercises
- Demonstrate how their role as a student leader at Penn State can be applied to their future
This program occurs annually each August. Recruitment for the 2022 opportunity is expected to launch in March/April 2022!
Intended for emerging leaders, LeaderQuest is a retreat opportunity where the western commonwealth Penn State campuses come together to focus on personal development through leadership skills. In the fall, the overnight retreat includes dynamic speakers, high ropes courses, and team collaborations.
Students who participate in LeaderQuest will be able to:
- Recognize personal values and leadership styles and how those traits function in a group setting
- Increase self-awareness about communication skills
- Understand the importance of multicultural competency as a foundation of effective leadership
- Gain a sense of Penn State pride and respect for the campus community
Bite-Sized Leadership Series
This program includes presentations and workshops on various topics geared towards helping student leaders succeed and learn about best practices. Specific topics and registration information for these sessions can be found on BehrendSync. Meals are provided.