Leadership Scholarship Application:
2024–25 Academic Year
Scholarships of $1,000–$2,000 are offered on an annual basis to students who demonstrate leadership and engagement outside of the classroom. In addition to this financial scholarship, opportunities are provided to awarded students as part of our Behrend Leadership Scholar program. Opportunities occur throughout the semester and include social events, service projects, speakers, alumni resources, and workshops.
- First-year students: Applications for first-year students starting at Behrend in Fall 2024 are now open! They will close January 15, 2024. Successful applicants will be notified of their award in February/March 2024.
- Transfer, change-of-campus, and returning students: Applications will open in early 2024.
Penn State Behrend Student Leadership Conference
The 2024 Leadership Conference will take place February 9–10, 2024.
Each February, Penn State Behrend students and staff offer insight into what direction to take on your leadership journey. Various sessions with students and staff provide guidance and direction for your college career and future.
Previous workshops have included What it Means to Lead in the Workplace Now, Self-Authorship Through Life's Challenges, Finding Your Space in the
Marvel Leadership Universe, and Leadership Lessons from Chancellor Ford. Our keynote address and workshop for 2022 featured Tom Krieglstein and his Dancefloor Theory method of leadership and involvement, winner of an unprecedented seven National Speaking Titles from APCA.
Registration for the 2024 Conference will open in the winter of 2023–24.
Bite-Sized Leadership Series
This program includes presentations and workshops on various topics geared toward helping student leaders succeed and learn about best practices. Specific topics and registration information for these sessions can be found on BehrendSync. Meals are provided.
- What's Your Why?: Students learn to identify and articulate their purpose through their personal philosophy and mission statement.
- From Passion to Action: We all have our passion—creating connections, impacting the environment, making a healthy community—but in a big world, how does one person make a difference?
- Creating New Leaders: How will you be training, supporting, and transitioning to Behrend's next generation of leaders?
Penn State Summer Leadership Conference
The 2024 Summer Leadership Conference will take place August 1–3, 2024.
The Penn State Summer Leadership Conference provides a challenging and motivating experience for participants where they will learn to be empowered, confident leaders—both personally and professionally. Participants will be inspired to lead purposeful lives while upholding the Penn State values of integrity, respect, responsibility, discovery, excellence, and community!
Students who participate in the Penn State SLC will be able to:
- Enhance essential skills and competencies and identify areas for further exploration and development in the pursuit of leadership excellence, specifically ethical decision-making, creative education and innovation, group dynamics, and conflict management
- Explain the importance of embracing a diverse and inclusive community as it relates to multicultural competency
- Define their leadership values and philosophies through self-awareness exercises
- Demonstrate how their role as a student leader at Penn State can be applied to their future