This minor is designed to accommodate undergraduates enrolled in engineering and engineering technology and in science who wish to augment their majors with further studies in industrial or technical sales. This minor is designed for non-business majors. The objective of the minor is to acquaint the technical students of these majors with the issues and methods associated with industrial or technical sales. Relevant studies include principles of management, operations management, supply chain management, marketing, logistics systems, procurement, personal selling or business-to-business marketing, and project management. Students who complete the minor will be positioned for career opportunities as direct sales engineers who play a key role in selection, purchase, installation and maintenance of technical products by selling technology and engineering solutions, or as manufacturing representatives who independently form contracts in exclusive marketing territories for multiple small manufacturers of compatible but not competing technical products.
A grade of C or better is required for all courses in the minor.
Requirements (19 credits)
Students are required to have a technically-oriented major (i.e., engineering, engineering technology, physical sciences, or other major as approved).
- MGMT 301(3) Behavioral Concepts for Management
- MKTG 301 (3) Principles of Marketing
- SCM 301 (3) Introduction to Operations Management
- SCM 200 GQ (4) Introduction to Statistics for Business or STAT 200 GQ (3) Elementary Statistics
- MKTG 410 (3) Personal Selling or marketing elective as approved
Select 3 credits from the following list:
- MGMT 409 (3) Project Management for Engineers
- MGMT 410 (3) Project Management
- SCM 455 (3) Logistics Systems Analysis and Design
- SCM 460 (3) Purchasing & Materials Management
Advising and Course Selection
The technical sales minor offers several choices in the elective courses. You are encouraged to meet with the technical sales advisor to select the courses that most closely support your career aspirations.
Declaring a Technical Sales Minor
If you have interest in the Technical Sales Minor, you must first contact the in-charge person for the minor, Dr. Diane Parente.