Fall Welcome August 2023
We're planning some great things for your first week at Behrend! Check back in often for updates.
Schedules are updated instantaneously on the Experience Behrend mobile app, available for free from the App Store® or the Google Play™ store.
For students arriving to live on campus, please visit the #PSUArrival website for Behrend this August.
Schedule Highlights and Important Dates
Friday, August 18
8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Check-in for All New Resident Students (including transfer and change of assignment students)
- Newly enrolled students living in on-campus residence halls should check in with Housing staff with a Photo ID to pick up their room key, PSU ID, and Welcome Week schedule before going to their assigned residence hall building.
5:30 p.m.–6:30 p.m.
- New students who live off campus should check in at the Reed Union Building to pick up your Welcome Week materials. Students will receive their Convocation and important information about Welcome Week and the start of the school year.
6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
- Meet some other commuters while you're joined for a casual dinner with campus staff who are ready and excited to answer any of your questions, like parking, the best places to study or chill on campus between classes, and all the things to do this semester! Students are encouraged to stay afterward for Nittany Night Out.
7:30 p.m.–10:30 p.m.
Nittany Night Out
- All students are invited and encouraged to attend our annual Nittany Night Out! Enjoy space-age living with several activities, including trivia (with prizes!), comedy, crafts, and other designs to style your room, snacks, rides, and more—all waiting for you. Bring your friends or be prepared to make some new ones down at the Behrend Space Station!
Saturday, August 19
8:45 a.m.–9:45 a.m.
Academic Convocation (Mandatory for New Students)
- This ceremony officially marks the beginning of your academic year, with faculty and staff processing in formal academic attire to welcome you to the academic community. Students will offer remarks and important information about your role at Penn State Behrend!
9:45 a.m.–10:45 a.m.
Diversity University (Mandatory for New Students)
- Take it firsthand from the foster kid who struggled for the opportunity to make it to college; Monti Washington, one of the most talented and dynamic speakers of our time. Beginning at a very young age, Monti had every excuse in the world to give up and be unsuccessful. From broken homes, poverty, abuse, and foster care to family tragedies, bullying, and rehab, he could have easily fallen under the radar. He's here at Behrend to impress on you the critical lessons of belonging to a culture of respect, values, and diversity through real-life lessons and dynamic storytelling.
11:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
School Welcomes and Orientations (Mandatory for New Students)
- It's important for every new student to attend the meeting in their school of enrollment. These meetings will provide an opportunity to meet faculty while gaining important information about your Academic College, academic integrity, as well as tutoring information from the Learning Resource Center.
Sunday, August 20
2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Welcome Back Carnival
- Join the festivities and start making memories of the first week at Behrend, Fall 2023! There will be many fun carnival attractions (including a zip line!), giveaways, and more. Come hungry because there will be free food and drinks to enjoy while you listen to music from BVZ Radio!
Monday, August 21
Classes begin. Have a great first day!
Download the Experience Behrend mobile app
Access the complete Welcome Week schedule and build your own schedule of events with our Experience Behrend app. Available for iPhone® and Android™. Get it free from the App Store® and the Google Play™ store. From the app, go to Welcome Week 2023 and download the schedule.
Preparing for the Semester
- Campus Maps
- Directions to Campus
- Department Directory