Accepted Insurances at the Penn State Behrend Health and Wellness Center
For your convenience, we accept insurance from most major health insurers at the Health and Wellness Center. To expedite your visit students are encouraged to provide us with their health insurance information ahead of time.
- Fill out this health insurance form with your information, and fax (814-898-6924) or mail it back to the Penn State Behrend Health and Wellness Center (4701 College Drive, Erie, PA 16563) OR
- Bring their health insurance card to the Health and Wellness Center during normal business hours to be entered into our system.
Will my insurance company cover HWC services?
We recommend that you find out ahead of time if your insurance will cover your care at HWC, as there may be restrictions on primary care doctor's who are outside of the insurance company's network. Please contact your insurance company about your coverage.
What do I need to ask my insurance company?
Tell the insurance company that you are a student at the Penn State Behrend College campus and ask whether you will need:
- A guest pass, or
- A change in the designated primary care provider (PCP)
- Ask if you will need a referral or prior authorization in order to be seen at HWC.
Your insurance provider may ask for the following information:
- Tax ID #: 24-6000376 or Facility NPI #: 1588986673
- Address: Penn State Behrend Health and Wellness Center, 4701 College Drive, Erie, PA 16563
Current List of Accepted Insurances
Penn State Behrend Health and Wellness is a participating provider with the following insurance companies:
- Penn State Student Health Insurance (underwritten by United Healthcare)
- Highmark Blue Shield
- Health America
- United Healthcare (listed in their provider directory as The Pennsylvania State University)
- PA Medical Assistance (in network fee for service plan only), United Health Care Community Plan, UPMC for You, AmeriHealth Caritas, Aetna Better Health, Gateway and Access (but NOT Keystone First.)
What to do if you are uninsured?
Penn State students are eligible to purchase a student health insurance plan for the upcoming academic year. All undergraduate students taking three or more credits or graduate students taking one or more credits are eligible to purchase the plan. The plan is offered online through First Student (underwritten by United Healthcare). You can learn more about the plan by visiting the First Student website.
What to do if your insurance is not accepted?
If you are seen at HWC and your insurance is not accepted, we recommend that you find out ahead of time to see if you have out of network benefits. There may be restrictions on primary care doctors who are outside of the insurance company’s network. (Your insurance card may have HMO or EPO on it.) Please contact your insurance company about your specific plan and out of network benefits.
What if I have a HMO?
If you belong to an HMO plan, call your insurance company even if it's from one of the companies listed below, to verify where you can receive treatment. Some HMO plans will issue guest memberships.
Geisinger Health Plan, and Kaiser Permanente are not participating with HWC. Please contact your customer service representative for a referral to HWC or to a provider contracted with your plan.
Other insurance information regarding Medical Assistance, Tricare and Blue Cross:
- Medical Assistance: No out-of-state medical assistance is accepted. If you have any other PA Medical Assistance plan other then the one listed above, it is best to contact your plan and find a participating provider in the area. If you choose to be seen at HWC, you will need to obtain authorization from your insurance plan to be seen. If you do not obtain authorization, you may be responsible for your visit charges.
- Tricare: The Health and Wellness Center is not a participating provider with Tricare, but will submit bills directly to Tricare and accept the reimbursement amount set by federal regulation.
- Blue Cross: Please contact your plan for benefit coverage. We do not have a contract with Blue Cross and we are an Out of Network Provider with Blue Cross. You will need to contact your local plan to determine your eligibility and benefits if you receive services at the Health and Wellness Center.
If you have a question about insurance please call the Penn State Behrend Health and Wellness at 814-898-6217.