The Penn State Behrend Honors Program is designed to provide a richer academic experience for highly qualified students at first-year and sophomore levels. At the end of the sophomore year, a student who has successfully completed nine or more honors credits while maintaining a cumulative 3.33 G.P.A. will be awarded an Honors Certificate. A grade of C or higher is required for an honors course to meet honors credit requirements (as opposed to major or University requirements). There are also opportunities to enter the Schreyer Honors College at the end of the first and sophomore years and continue studying toward a Penn State Honors Degree.
Eligibility and Requirements
First-Semester First-Year Students
- Entry to Honors Program: First-year student admission by invitation based on high school GPA and SAT scores. No separate application is required.
- Minimum requirements: File an Annual Academic Plan. Maintain a 3.33 GPA each semester.
- Semesters one and two: Although one honors course per semester is strongly recommended, members must complete a minimum of three honors credits during the first year.
- Semesters three and four: Complete at least six honors credits by the end of the third semester. All remaining honors credits must be completed by the end of the fourth semester.
- Honors Certificate: Students entering as first-semester first-year students must earn nine honors credits to receive an Honors Certificate at the end of the fourth semester.
Second-Semester First-Year Students
- Entry to Honors Program: Students are invited to join the Honors Program if they complete their first semester with a 3.5 GPA.
- Minimum Requirements: File an Annual Academic Plan. Maintain a 3.33 GPA each semester.
- Coursework: Students entering as second-semester first-year students must complete three honors credits by the end of their first year and at least six honors credits by the end of the third semester. All remaining honors credits must be completed by the end of the fourth semester.
- Honors Certificate: Students entering as second-semester first-year students must earn a minimum of nine honors credits to receive an Honors Certificate by the end of the fourth semester.
To continue honors study at the junior/senior level, a student must apply to join the Schreyer Honors College.
Students must take a prescribed sequence of course (based on their intended major):
- Pre-Business Majors: All should take ECON 104H (Fall) and 102H (Spring) in their first year. They will take an elective in their second year.
- Pre-Science Majors: (first two courses are completed in their first year, elective in their second year)
- Biology - BIOL 110H, BIOL 230M, elective
- Chemistry - CHEM 110H, CHEM 112H, elective
- Environmental Science - BIOL 110H, CHEM 110H, elective
- Mathematics - MATH 140H, MATH 141H, elective
- Math Education - Consult with your adviser
- Physics - MATH 140H, MATH 141H, elective
- Pre-H&SS Majors: English 30H and CAS 100H (first year), elective second year
- Pre-Engineering Majors:
- ME, IE, EE, IBE, PES should take EDGSN 100H and CPMSC 200 in their first year
- CMP E, CMP Sc, Software Engineering – CMPSC 121H and CMPSC 122H in their first year.
- Engineering Technology majors should consult with their adviser
- Pre-Nursing Major: Consult with adviser
- DUS: Follow a sequence based on potential major of interest
Deadlines and Forms
Annual Academic Plan
- Annual Academic Plan
Behrend Honors Program members submit their plans each fall semester. The deadline coincides with the Registrar’s fall semester late drop deadline, typically in early November. Students unable to comply by the deadline must contact the Honors Programs Office. Failure to submit a completed Annual Academic Plan by the deadline may result in dismissal from the program.
- Honors Option Form Instructions
- Honors Options, Honors Independent Study/Research forms are due by the end of the third week of the semester in which honors study is taken.
- Please complete the online application for honors options.